Streaming Encoder (Server?) without a CDN at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old May 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Streaming Encoder (Server?) without a CDN

Are there any devices that are a all-in-one live stream encoder & server which can operate on their own without a CDN?

I'm needing to have some overflow viewing locations and would like to avoid going through a normal CDN / public webcast. I was thinking Datavideo's NVS-25 would fit the bill, but their video says you need a CDN. NVS-25 H.264 Video Streaming Server / Recorder - Datavideo US

I have a fast & solid network connection and only have a couple overflow locations, so it's not like I need a server that can handle 100s or 1,000s of viewers.

Anything like this exist?
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Streaming Encoder (Server?) without a CDN

You can connect to that device via VLC and play back the content assuming the local network can see you without a CDN.

I had an ns-25 and the one issue I had was that the video couldn't do more than about 6mbit for 1080 which I didn't like for sports and there is no display to tell you the Ip the device got. You have to run a bit of software on a windows machine (no Mac software) to scan the network and find the device. If you can get it a up assignment based on Mac you are good to go. Also this device and the Live shell pro I use now do have limits on how many can connect and view. I believe both can support five or less viewers.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 12:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Are there any devices that are a all-in-one live stream encoder & server which can operate on their own without a CDN?

I'm needing to have some overflow viewing locations and would like to avoid going through a normal CDN / public webcast. I was thinking Datavideo's NVS-25 would fit the bill, but their video says you need a CDN. NVS-25 H.264 Video Streaming Server / Recorder - Datavideo US

I have a fast & solid network connection and only have a couple overflow locations, so it's not like I need a server that can handle 100s or 1,000s of viewers.

Anything like this exist?
As long as you aren't streaming to too many viewers, and your network is fast enough for what you want, you don't need a CDN. I've used Blackmagic's h.264 encoder with MXlight to stream to an overflow viewing area, where a laptop running VLC was setup to watch the stream and output to a large monitor.

The datavideo device you are looking at should be capable of what you want to to. You will have to do some configuring, but glancing at the manual for the Datavideo NVS-25 it shouldn't be too terribly difficult. The NVS-25 and the computers you are using to receive the stream will all need to be on the same network.

If you need to stream over the internet, and your stream receiving devices and the NVS-25 are not on the same network, you will need to set up a VPN solution for your network, allowing the remote devices to tunnel in, or you will need some kind of go-between web server setup as a streaming server.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I have access to a BMD H.264 encoder (and just picked up their "Web Presenter"). I just started looking at MXLight from your mention, though we're on Mac, so maybe it won't work (I can look into Parrells, but it'd be nicer not to have to go that route). (FAQ)

Live Shell Pro looks interesting too (No PC Necessary, Easy Ustream Live HD- LiveShell PRO Dashboard). We have a similar box from LiveStream, but I think that only works with LiveStream. If this can be it's own server, then maybe it's a good fit?

Most of what I need is on a college campus in rooms with hard line network jacks, so I'm hoping that might make things easier (unless IT has some firewalls that don't play nice). VLC at the player side could work, I wasn't aware of the streaming playability of VLC. And max amount of overflow locations would be 3 or 4, so I'm hoping that wouldn't be too taxing.

Helpful stuff for me to look into more, thanks!
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Matrox Monarch may work for you.
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 04:04 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Phil just beat me to it.

The Monarch will do local and streaming server protocols.

The Monarch HDX model has two separate encoders in it, meaning that you can have one going to your live-streaming destination server (at a data rate your connection can handle) and the other can be used to pipe a full data rate version over a network cable to a remote destination.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

I've seen it advertised, but I didn't know that it could work without a CDN. Hmmm.... wondering if I can get a Demo from Matrox.

Thanks guys!

Also, do you know if it is the same thing as this Datavideo NVS-30? NVS-30 H.264 Video Streaming Server - Datavideo US

They look very similar to me, so I've been wondering if one is licensing to the other, or if they're actually made by some 3rd party that is selling through Matrox / Datavideo label.

---

Edit: I reached out to Matrox on their website & going to set up a remote demo (possibly get a loaner in the future if things line up). The Monarch looks pretty cool.

One interesting thing I thought about it is the different models, how the base level only has a HDMI input, but the HDX has HDMI & SDI and it sounds like a Time-base-corrector built in so that you can switch seamlessly between the two. Then there is the top model, the LCS, which has SDI & HDMI but it sends out two streams so that viewers are able to control screen size / switching of the camera feed & the presentation feed.

The recording feature isn't of too much interest to me as we have a AJA Ki Pro for when we're doing a multicam recording & the ProRes files it has are great, except if the Monarch has a low bitrate .mp4 that is easier to upload for a quick review / posting, then it could be of interest. (Like if I can get a good looking 5mbps 1080 or 720 file, then that could be great for immediate use, while the ProRes is better for editing & finalizing.)

Last edited by Zach Love; July 10th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It says recording is MOV or MP4 and at varying bit rates. So you could record at a low bitrate MP4 for the internet.
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

Wow. That Datavideo product looks like a dead set rebrand of the Matrox Monarch HD (the base model). I can assure you that Matrox are indeed the designers of the product line and write the driver / firmware / software etc that runs the hardware.

It should stream out just as well as the Matrox branded models.

There is a TBC/stabiliser thinggy built in to the HDX model, but this isn't for smooth switching between the input types. It's to cater for when the vision switcher further back in the production chain drops and frame, ensuring that you don't have a frame glitch going through to the streamed video.

A very interesting feature in the LCS model that I haven't gotten around to playing with just yet is the "switching mode" whereby you can live switch the two video inputs ... from within the unit itself using the web interface. This will save a ton of post-production time for two camera events. Some have purchased this model for purely this reason alone.

Andrew

PS. With recording to .mov or .mp4, these are the wrapper file formats for the .h264 encoding that the unit performs.
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View