Waiver of Liability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Waiver of Liability

I was trying to get permission to film on a parking lot, and I spoke to the owner, who said that would be ok, but they would like a 'Waiver of Liability' first, so they can't be held accountable for anything that occurs on their property.

This actually sounds fair to me, and I don't really see how It should be a big deal, I just need a forming saying they can't be sued for anything that we do. However I have no idea how to obtain a form like this. Can i draft it myself, do I need to go through a lawyer, I can't be paying more than 10-20 dollars for this, it's a low budget film.

Anyone know what to do here or have had this situation in the past?
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You could print out something like this and see if they're happy with it. If not, you'll probably find something that looks a bit more complicated if you google "Liability Waiver".

I intend to do some filming on [insert relevant date here]. I hereby absolve and release the land owner / occupier of any and all liability in the event of any damage ocurring to filming equipment or myself or my crew sustaining any injury or harm as a result of this event.

Signed: …………………………………..…… Date: …………………….............................

If they insist on an indemnity clause, you could also add, "I hereby undertake to indemnify the landowner for any claims made against him arising out of any negligence on my part during my filming activities on his land.
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"I intend to do some filming on [insert relevant date here]. I hereby absolve and release the land owner / occupier of any and all liability in the event of any damage ocurring to filming equipment or myself or my crew sustaining any injury or harm as a result of this event."

IMO the above does NOT protect the owner - you have nothing to back up the taking on the liability - now if you have a mil or 2 in the bank then the owner is protected for a mil or 2 ...

that's like you borrowing my car and saying ( or in writing) you are responsible for anything that happens = they are going to file a suit against you & me and if you have nothing then it's all out of my pocket ...

to protect the owner you need liability insurance ( or lots of assets) ... and if you get a 1 mil policy - after the 1 mil runs out then they go after the owner !!!
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business