UWOL Rates - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Try to keep in mind too that Google is wonderful at finding your current conversations if they are doing any research on you... If any one of those folks on the other side of this is "googling" you, this will all be right in their face. Your name brings the first two results to this thread in google search...

It may not matter at all to you and that is ok. But...

I only say this because I had a similar incident where someone on the other side of the table was watching my whole conversation about how much I should charge them. It made for a sour situation.
This is a really good point Marco. All our ramblings are public domain... and dvinfo comments seem to rank high on google. I better go and edit some old posts :P
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I agree with Ken about Marco's comment. You wouldn't want to say anything here that you would not be willing to share with anyone else (like an inquisitive client).

However, my counter point would be that I already had this conversation with my client. I told them I would have no idea what to charge them and that I would poke around a bit. If they asked, this is my "poking around."

It's really no different than researching salary info for any other kind of a job. I want to make sure that I am being paid what I should but I don't have any intention to rip them off. Not only that but if I gave them some ridiculous quote they would just say no and I would have lost my chance. These guys aren't the kind that negotiate for weeks on end :)

And if I took my typical hourly rate * 10-12 hrs per day (which is low when typically, the meter starts/ends when I leave/enter my office) * the number of days they want to shoot, I think George Lucas would choke.

This is a good opportunity to work with a great bunch of guys. I don't want to rake them over the coals, but on the same token I don't want to be taken for a ride.

Last edited by Colin Ard; September 4th, 2007 at 10:26 AM.
Colin Ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #18
Wrangler

My biz partner and I play this game all the time when we discuss bidding jobs. "Would you do this for xxxx dollars?" We start on our high end and bid down until the answer is NO. And we talk about our rationalizations and reasons as we go. Then we at least know our bottom line.

And typically, unless there is something special about the job that makes us really, really, really want it (it's in Paris, it's outdoorsy, it's someone we really enjoy working with, etc...), then we work our way back up the ladder several notches, to get away from the reasons that we are dying to do it and back to what is a decent price. This works in reverse, too, where we really are reluctant to take a job and then bid our way up to what we would do it for, to account for factors such as, it's boring, dull, or the client may be a challenge.

What you don't want is to put yourself in a situation where you feel cranky with the job or the client because YOU sold yourself short. This little game kind of helps you to get out of your head, which can talk you into all sorts of stupid nonsense, and tune into your gut.

I like the title of this thread, UWOL Rates. Keep spreadin' the UWOL love around....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business