Guidelines for establishing rental rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Guidelines for establishing rental rates

Good morning all,

A friend of mine is looking into renting out his gear while he is between projects. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the guidelines of rental rate per value of kit to charge potential renters. Perhaps a ratio of rental rate per value in $1000's per day?

Insurance certificates are already being investigated.

Thanks!
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #2

Just one person's opinion...

Renting out one's production equipment is a bad idea. Insurance or not, sooner or later, it will turn around and bite your friend.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is one more...

Unless he REALLY knows the person(s) that will be using it takes really good care of it, i would advice not to rent out this kind of equipment. That is, unless he decide to go the whole distance to actually start a pure renting company.

The thin line between using / abusing delicate electronics are very difficult to define. Especially if it is prosumer class of equipment.

At first we was thinking about renting out our own equipment, but quickly decided that it was not worth it. Simply because the risk is too high.

Just my 2 cents.
Ronny Hofsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the input guys. I'll pass it on.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

I thought the rule of thumb on renting was that the rental day rate should be about 1 - 3% of the total value of the kit

edit: PS not that I'm recommending renting your own kit. I used to work in a place that loaned cameras and you'd be shocked at the state they came back in (if they came back at all) - full of sand or water, bits broken off or missing (and no-one would ever tell you because they didn't want to get fined, so you would only find out when the next hirer would complain its not working properly)... its not like hiring out a car, if a car comes back with a broken headlamp you can fix it and send it out again, if a camcorder comes back with broken lens you may as well throw it away
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Wrangler

3-5% a day is pretty common.
10-20% for a week.
20-40% for a month.

This would be insured and guaranteed of course, with a heavy deposit as well, to a legit company, not to your band of neighbourhood teenagers.
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again. I believe his intent is to rent to production companies only, and would require the appropriate insurance certificates.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business