Is a simple "thank you" too much to ask? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Is a simple "thank you" too much to ask?

I’ve done about 10 wedding videos this past summer and I’ve always given clients a great bargain while providing a really nice movie style edit of their wedding day.

I always call after mailing out their video but generally get a voice mail, so I leave a message.

Is a simple word of thanks too much to expect? I mean, I spent the entire day getting to know them while documenting their special day.

I guess no news is good news, but I kinda feel like my work isn’t being appreciated. I really spend a lot of time editing their videos to the best of my ability and I feel as if they just skip through it, and toss it in a drawer.

Is this normal client behavior? I haven't heard back from the last 3 clients I've called. I just wanted to see how they were enjoying their video!

Where is the love?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think you'll have to assume no news is good news. Did you see the other thread about bride ruining DVD's and blaming the videographer?

Folks are busy in this day and age. Sad but true.

If you took the initiative to call and invite feedback, you've done your part. Besides, it's the unsolicited praise that feels the best.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #3
Wrangler

If you're not getting thank you's and referrals, something is definitely wrong. Positive, enthusiastic feedback is the number one indicator of the quality and ultimate value of your work.

- Are your videos "wowing" your customers?
- Are your videos generating referrals?
- Do you have the right attitude towards your customers and the work? Quote: "I spent the entire day getting to know them while documenting their special day."
- Are are you just shooting nice looking video? Or are you capturing and communicating the unique character and personality of the people in this once in lifetime event?
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just in case that came across a little harsh. I'm sending the love from all the way out here in NYC.
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Just in case that came across a little harsh. I'm sending the love from all the way out here in NYC.
Not at all harsh. I knew a thread like this would generate a strong response.

I have gained a lot of confidence in my shooting/editing abilities this past summer and my videos are much more professional then when I first started my business about 18 months ago. I'm at a point where I really want to know what my clients like & dislike about my videos.

What I meant in the quote "I spent the entire day getting to know them", is that I feel that I've developed a relationship with them throughout the event and I generally build a really good rapport. So I'm a little hurt because it seems like my new acquaintances have no response to the video that I worked really hard to produce.

You are also correct in that it doesn’t appear that I’m getting any referrals from previous clients. That seems strange. The clients that do contact me say they really liked my work. I’ve never been asked to re-edit a video. So what gives?
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Trustee

Scott,

It's a matter of persepctive.

From your perspective, it's all about the video. That makes sense, since that was your experience throughout the entire event.

For everyone else, (and you've got to suck it up and understand this) no matter how appropriately important the video production was to YOU - the video was an incredibly minor part of the event.

Someone got married. An event that usually totally changes and alters a person's life.

Imagine what the principals are now having to adjust to. The couple has to face the results of this life changing decision. Their families, from both sets of parents to their close friends are all making fundamental changes in every thing from living arrangements to emotional adjustments to how mad one member of the couple gets to be about how the other member leaves their socks/stockings on the bathroom floor. The family elders are having to adjust to new relationships and offer support and help to the newlyweds.

This aftermath of a wedding typically takes YEARS to settle down.

And in the midst of these very real life changing event aftershocks you believe that they should see your video work as important enough to be their focus?

I'm gonna guess that you've never been married.

Please do not worry about this.

It says NOTHING about the quality of your work.

It says something about the reality of the excitement, stress and upheaval of the process of marriage.

Period.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
It says NOTHING about the quality of your work.
I'd have to disagree, you're right about the video being a very small part of the event and people facing great challenges when facing a new marriage. But I'd argue that if you really captured and communicated this personal and life changing event you should get a strong emotional reaction: positive or negative. Perhaps a better word is - what is the ultimate value of your work to the persons involved? What did it mean to people who watched it? For something that is so inherently meaningful to the people involved, a simple un-solicited "thank you" tells you a lot about the value of your work.

A British couple recently remarked to me "Michael, it wasn't just a good job, it was a job well done. Very well done. Thank you." At that point I would have paid them to do their wedding video. And the icing on the cake, the referrals from that gig, filled my schedule for the next 3 months.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
A British couple recently remarked to me "Michael, it wasn't just a good job, it was a job well done. Very well done. Thank you." At that point I would have paid them to do their wedding video. And the icing on the cake, the referrals from that gig, filled my schedule for the next 3 months.
That's really cool. It's amazing how a simple thank you can make it all worth while. It's great that you got some referrals as well. You know you did a good job, but the validation from the client is what affects your outlook and inspiration for future clients.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Trustee

Scott,

My advice would be to try harder to connect with them aftwards to get their real, honest opinion.

Maybe say something like "I'm always looking to find out what worked and what didn't, could you please chime in a little bit and let me know your opinions." People are busy, but people also love to be critics.

Just be prepared for praise and its opposite ;).

-Peter
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Just an update:

I just got this e-mail this morning......
It made my whole day!

"Scott,

We received the DVD and footage. We really enjoyed the CD and you did a great job in capturing the special moments of our events. We are trully appreciative for your services."
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Trustee

That's GREAT to hear! WTG :).
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #12
Major Player

I've only done a couple of jobs, but I sent out a customer survey sheet and SASE asking them for feedback and ratings. Asked them what they liked best, least, how it compared to their expectations, etc and left a spot for comments. Fortunately people had nice things to say. Even when I botched that one presentation they were very happy with the video. =)
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business