Can i use 'Canon' logo on my business card img? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Can i use 'Canon' logo on my business card img?

Couldn`t fit the whole scenario in the topic.... I am designing my business card and want to put an image of the Canon A1 on it. My question is....should I photoshop out the "Canon" written on the front and just more highlight the "HDV" on the out folded screen?
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

The Canon and HDV logos are both protected trademarks, FYI. Not saying Sony or Canon would go after you for some business cards, but rules are rules.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Major Player

i wasn`t aware HDV was a logo....hmm...think the camera has presence enough to not need the name? I just want to have the camera i use on the card
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I know I would notice, but most people won't. They would only notice if: it was obvious it was erased, or if they knew that camera and where the logos were placed. If you want to be safe, I'd Photoshop them out, but make it look good.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

On a business card... is the logo even big enough to see, considering the image of the camcorder is so tiny?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Major Player

yea it`d still be visible but i decided to photoshop it for safety reasons. I figure anyone who knows cameras will know what it is and anyone who doesn`t will likely have the impression that its a good camera by visual alone. Thanks guys
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well if you purchased and own the camera and take your own picture of it I don't think you would have a problem but I don't really know for sure.
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
Well if you purchased and own the camera and take your own picture of it I don't think you would have a problem but I don't really know for sure.
So using that same logic, if I buy a coke can and take my own picture of it, I can use the Coca-Cola logo in my production? Or purchase a music CD, record the music playing from my CD player using my own recording gear, and then use the music in my video? I think not.

Maybe I am missing your point.

- Martin
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
So using that same logic, if I buy a coke can and take my own picture of it, I can use the Coca-Cola logo in my production?
But what if you take a picture of the can and take the Coca-Cola logo out by painting over it? That is what the original poster needed the camera for, no? Not for the Coke logo, but the can.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Canon may have a claim to the design of the camcorder itself (e.g., a design patent)

Why not just ask them?
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Make a sample and submit it to Canon

I'd just call Canon and ask the question of them. Find out who to contact in their business office and email them.

Send an example of what you want to do and how the design will look, or better yet make a sample and submit that. When they see it, they will likely see it as a positive way of promoting the Canon brand.
Follow up with a call, but start by getting such correspondence in writing. Keep a log of any calls, just to be safe.

Might even be that since using their logo on your card is a good form of promoting their product, they may even give you a disc with Canon logo and or clip art on it, with perhaps a few restrictions.
My guess is that they'd say OK.

If you do decide to contact Canon, please let us know how it went, I too have thought about doing same.

Last edited by Steve Wolla; December 16th, 2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added info
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #12
Wrangler

This is one of those instances in which I really wish I could provide specific legal advice to posters. Because I can't, I'll say this instead to the original OP: please consult an attorney. A number of suggestions re: the law and courses of action that have been made in this thread are simply wrong.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Seems kind of simple to me. You don't need a laywer (at least not now). Just go to http://www.canon.com/terms/index.html#candt and read it. You'll see that it clearly states that in order to use a canon logo, a contract is necessary.

Now if you choose to blow off that requirement and canon decides to take action, then you may need a lawyer to help get your butt out of a sling.

Why bother putting any camera or logo, other than your own, on a business card? Do you think potential clients are so concerned with your equipment that they must know that information ahead of talking with you?

BTW, it took all of one click of a mouse to find this out. I went to canon.com the clicked on "Copyright (c) 2007 Canon Inc" in the bottom left of the screen.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
Seems kind of simple to me. You don't need a laywer (at least not now). Just go to http://www.canon.com/terms/index.html#candt and read it. You'll see that it clearly states that in order to use a canon logo, a contract is necessary.
I'm sure it seems simple to you. It is not. Regardless of what Canon may say, there are other concerns that apply.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
I'm sure it seems simple to you. It is not. Regardless of what Canon may say, there are other concerns that apply.
So just what are those concerns?

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business