First business card attempt - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Trustee

Just for a little info, I got my business cards from VistaPrint; the price was low, the service was fast, and the quality of the product was exceptional.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Took a little more time to tweak the card a tiny bit. Let me know your new thoughts. I know its small changes but I`m a perfectionist with everything ;)
Attached Images

Old November 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #18

Nathan, good progress. Your font style and sizes are too similar. Use one distinct font for the company name--it should be the largest thing on the card. Use a different font and size for your name and contact information.

The best thing to do to get some ideas is go to sites that produce business cards. You'll "see" what I'm "talking" about. Find some cards you especially like and then determine why you like those cards. Incorporate those elements into you card.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #19
Major Player

worked on it a little more. Seems to be settling in, just few tweaks here and there. I think its on the brink of getting too busy with different fonts etc...what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
First business card attempt-business_card_a_front_v9.jpg  
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
worked on it a little more. Seems to be settling in, just few tweaks here and there. I think its on the brink of getting too busy with different fonts etc...what do you think?
I think you should have kept the font and colour in the company name and sub-text. Particularly, the blue font does not stand out well on the bluish background. I'd cut the "Direct.Shoot.Edit", keep it simple.

Second: Some may claim that film is celluloid, and unless you do 16 or 35mm this is misleading. "Videography" is a word that is not commonly used, why not just "event videos"? that explains the product you offer, if you have experience with particular kind of events you may want to state that. "Commercial" by it self is ambiguous - you want to do commercials for tv? or maybe video production on a commercial basis?

You could sum it up as: "Video production: Commercials, events, etc..."
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #21

Now it's too many fonts, too close to the same size. Your company name and your name are competing for attention.

Did you visit the sites like I suggested? I don't see any evidence of it. Google "business cards" and do some homework!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #22
Major Player

I have looked around but there is so much out there its not as guiding at this point. I`m molding it mainly on suggestions here and now getting mixed one heh, and I think I misunderstood your last post. Seems you suggested having at least 3 fonts. It does also seem to be down the point of personal taste now as well so I may just play around a little more and finalize it how I like it. One question, should I really cut out the tag line under the company name? Other suggestions wanted from others too

Also, how do I know what it`ll look like when printed? I know the colors usually look different. Is there a way to color match to how it will print?

"Second: Some may claim that film is celluloid, and unless you do 16 or 35mm this is misleading."

So how should I word making short films and helping others on local feature films? (they are all digital). Digital film?

Last edited by Nathan Quattrini; November 27th, 2007 at 09:29 AM.
Nathan Quattrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Major Player

newer version now with back, comments still welcome. The back isn't a proper list yet as I put it together quick. Should I leave more room on the back? Also not sure why its uploading kind of distorted now :\
Attached Thumbnails
First business card attempt-business_card_a_front_v6.jpg   First business card attempt-business_card_a_back_v1.jpg  

Old November 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Also not sure why its uploading kind of distorted now :\
It's being resized by the browser. Click on one of the images and it will take you to the hi-res version, where it isn't distorted.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
newer version now with back, comments still welcome. The back isn't a proper list yet as I put it together quick. Should I leave more room on the back? Also not sure why its uploading kind of distorted now :\
I would not bring info on the particular equipment I use, most don't have a clue anyway. People don't care about the tools, they care about the result. It's your job to get the tools to provide the expected result.

Fools (sorry) may care about your equipment: You got professional equipment, so you must be professional. But what does it matter that you have an excellent camera if you don't know how to handle it? In fact, it may only increase expectations beyond what you can provide. (Oh, and by the way, since when did tripods come in High Def versions?).

One thing you might want to state somehow is "(full) high definition video".

But, personally I like to have the back blank, if I talk with someone there's room to write a note or offer for the particular project.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #26
Major Player

Yea i thought about it and wasn`t sure people would even know what the stuff was...aside this area. If you say 'Mac' people automatically put you on a pedastool. I may just have the back pringted with the design for continuity. The bogen line released the 503 HDV head to better balance and smoother usage for the heavier HDV camera lines that were released, it has a counter balance system etc unlike the regular 503 head.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business