Real Estate Videos: I need camcorder advice please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Real Estate Videos: I need camcorder advice please.

I am in the process of starting a video production company. One of the areas which we will be venturing into is real estate video tours.

We will be shooting the houses during day light using only the sunlight through the windows and house lights.

We will be delivering to our clients the footage via dvd and internet.

My question is, which camera will be best suited for real estate videos?

The cameras I have been considering are as follows:
1.) Sony PD170 (With HDV out, how safe is this choice, great low light)
2.) Sony FX7 (This wil future proof me, but how's the low light)
3.) Sony HC7 (This is also HDV and half the price of the fx7)

I would like to hear from videographers who do real estate video tours using one or more of the above mentioned cameras.

Thanking you in advance.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

FYI - the PD170 is SD only, not HDV
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steve.

My bad. I didn't make it very clear. I meant, with HDV on the market for a couple of years now, how safe is it purchasing a standard def cam like the pd170.
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Of the more prosumer choices I would say the PD170 is the best choice for indoor shooting without lights for the obvious low light ability. But, again, it is SD. When do you plan on moving up to HDV? If you buy a PD170 now do you have room in your budget to upgrade down the road when you want to deliver HDV?
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Matthew

Thank you for your reply.

I like the PD170 a lot, especially because of its low light capability, but I would not like to upgrade for at least the next 2 years as far as my camercorders go.

So my question is, will a standard def cam like the pd170 be competitive for the next 2 years or so?
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Major Player

If it'll be streamed from the Net, and that is a primary means of delivering content to the end user, a PD170 will do just fine in this application.

However, a good 3 CCD HDV cam may be a bertter buy as it can take on a wider variety of asignments. That flexibility could be worth a lot of $$$ in the near term.

I'd add the Sony FX-1 and Canon XHA1 to that list due to the greater flexibility that they have. These two should have decent enough low light abilities for your application. Plus you can do so much more with them.

With Canon's rebate you should be able to pick one up for only $300 more than the PD170. Not sure about FX-1's cost. But it's going to be sooo close as to be almost irrelevant.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #7
New Boot

Video Camera

I use a Sony HC3 camcorder with no external lighting. You can see samples here. http://www.nashuavideotours.com/virt...ideo_tour.html
Fred Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Fred,
I checked out a couple of real estate videos.

I was just wondering(and I haven't seen any real estate shots except on Extreme Makeover), wouldn't the videos be enhanced greatly if you were to have different cuts from room to room that way you could manually adjust white balance, iris, and gain?

I know this is not the subject of this thread, but I wanted to just drop my 6 cents in the bucket.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #9
New Boot

Real Estate Videos

Not really.

First of all, what makes the videos WORK is that you walk from room to room. You get a feeling of how the home is laid out, the relationship between rooms, which rooms are on which floor, etc. By doing each room separately, and panning around the room, it's disjointed. It may be a half step up from still photos, but you're really not showing that much MORE than a nice photograph would show. Yes, you could adjust the white balance, use lighting, etc. and maybe make the video quality better, but you're defeating the purpose of using video for real estate. (houses don't 'move', you know? People move THROUGH houses).

Secondly, there is only ONE way to make any sort of living doing real estate videos - pricing the product correctly. I set a price point of $200-$300 and I need to produce a product that FITS that price point, looks good AND makes me money. So clearly, some corners need to be cut to keep the workflow down, etc. The reason that 95% of people that do real estate videos don't make any money is that they price themselves out of the market (and your target market is realtors...) who 1) don't see the NEED for real estate video, and 2) don't want to PAY for a tour unless it's like $75!. If you're charging $400, $500+++ for a real estate video, your customer base is basically NOBODY. They won't pay it. I've been dealing with realtors for a decade, and I know their threshold for spending money on marketing.

That's why most videographers give up on this market - they don't understand how to make a BUSINESS of it.
Fred Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #10
New Boot

I think one of the biggest criteria is focal length.

You want to go for cameras with shorter focal lengths which give you a wider angle view. Makes it easier to see the whole room as you move through it.
Neil Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Light View Post
Not really.

First of all, what makes the videos WORK is that you walk from room to room. You get a feeling of how the home is laid out, the relationship between rooms, which rooms are on which floor, etc. By doing each room separately, and panning around the room, it's disjointed. It may be a half step up from still photos, but you're really not showing that much MORE than a nice photograph would show. Yes, you could adjust the white balance, use lighting, etc. and maybe make the video quality better, but you're defeating the purpose of using video for real estate. (houses don't 'move', you know? People move THROUGH houses).

Secondly, there is only ONE way to make any sort of living doing real estate videos - pricing the product correctly. I set a price point of $200-$300 and I need to produce a product that FITS that price point, looks good AND makes me money. So clearly, some corners need to be cut to keep the workflow down, etc. The reason that 95% of people that do real estate videos don't make any money is that they price themselves out of the market (and your target market is realtors...) who 1) don't see the NEED for real estate video, and 2) don't want to PAY for a tour unless it's like $75!. If you're charging $400, $500+++ for a real estate video, your customer base is basically NOBODY. They won't pay it. I've been dealing with realtors for a decade, and I know their threshold for spending money on marketing.

That's why most videographers give up on this market - they don't understand how to make a BUSINESS of it.
Excellent post!

Do you have a website? Wouldn't mind seeing some of your work.
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
You want to go for cameras with shorter focal lengths which give you a wider angle view.
Only a few camcorders have a lens with a short enough focal length, so a wide-angle adapter is almost always a good idea no matter which camera you choose.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Only a few camcorders have a lens with a short enough focal length, so a wide-angle adapter is almost always a good idea no matter which camera you choose.
Indeed, that's what I had to do for my camcorder. I was getting too narrow a view when taking on-board bike footage. I then found out it was because my camera had a relatively long focal length (narrower view). I've purchased a 0.6 wide angle lens adapter and it's great. It does strange things to light levels & colours though. Best to start off with the shortest focal length you can so you don't require too drastic an adapter IMO.

Last edited by Neil Cooper; December 17th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #14
New Boot

What sort of range in focal length for camcorders is there?
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Light View Post
I use a Sony HC3 camcorder with no external lighting. You can see samples here. http://www.nashuavideotours.com/virt...ideo_tour.html
Fred, your work is fantastic. Are you using a steadicam to move around the house?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business