DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   B&H Prices: Online vs. Store (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/11058-b-h-prices-online-vs-store.html)

Nick Medrano June 20th, 2003 11:07 AM

B&H Prices: Online vs. Store

hello all,
I am real close to buying a Panasonic DVX100 and probably will do it via BhPhotovideo.com. I will be taking a trip up to NYC in a few weeks and may stop at the store. The question is, are prices the same on the B&H website and at the B&H store? Or, are prices a little cheaper at the store (since you drop the shipping charge)?

What would you do? Buy at the store or online?

Rob Wilson June 20th, 2003 12:02 PM

While you'll save on shipping, you have to add sales tax so it all depends on the weight/purchase price! Don't know if the prices are any different in the store though.

Jay Enterkin June 20th, 2003 12:03 PM

what about sales tax?

Since I don't live in NY State, I avoid sales tax when I purchase from B&H off the internet.

Sales tax may be more than shipping! especially for big ticket items.

Dean Sensui June 20th, 2003 12:32 PM

Nick...

Take the time to check out the store. I was in NY last September and was impressed by the size of the place and how helpful the people were.

I bought a bag for my XL1 while there. Sure beat carrying the darn thing on my lap all the way back to Honolulu.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Rick Spilman June 20th, 2003 12:47 PM

The prices in the store are exactly the same as on-line. The only possible difference might be that in general if you find a lower price at a reputable dealer, they will generally match it.

Sales tax in NY City is 8% (or 8 1/4%, I forget) - it is high. You might save by buying on-line as the shipping is usually lower than the tax.

I really enjoy shopping in the store and talking to the sale guys, most of whom have professional experience. They have a good camera display where you can play prety much to your heart's content.

If you are in New York you can't go wrong by visiting the store. Whether you buy there or shop on-line might be a function of your will power.

Alex Knappenberger June 20th, 2003 01:08 PM

I'd probably buy it online to save on sales tax, like already mentioned.

I think it would just be worth a trip in itself to NYC to go to their store, people say it's huge and it's a video nerds dream. :D

8% sales tax? Jeez, thats like $80 per $1000 you spend, correct? That dere' math.

Mark Moore June 20th, 2003 01:29 PM

I know that if you live in some states, that if you buy online (from an out-of-state retailer), that at the end of the year, you must pay your own state's sales tax on those items purchased - when you file your end of year state tax.

At least your supposed to! :o]

Nick Medrano June 20th, 2003 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone. I think what Im going to do is buy it online sine I don't want to be carrying it around NYC and all the way back to Texas. Besides, some of those metal detectors...damn....they fried my laptop last time.

Alexander McLeod June 20th, 2003 10:19 PM

I used to buy 35mm equipment from B&H and they were (and I assume still are) excellent to deal with. Their prices (and often their range of offerings) were better than local dealers in my immediate area. In addition, the cost of shipping beat the sales tax I would have had to pay here.

Given that, I bought my GL2 package from Zotz and am very happy. For me, this particular decision was perfect. I would buy from B&H again, and probably will, but perhaps more in the 35mm realm than with DV.

Sandy

Mike Rehmus June 21st, 2003 12:26 AM

Order there, have them ship. That should skip the tax.

Nigel Moore June 21st, 2003 02:40 AM

Sales tax

8% is high...jeez, you lot don't know a good thing. Here in Switzerland it's 7.8% and that's cheap. In the UK it's 17.5%. Now that's a rip-off!
Quote:

Order there, have them ship. That should skip the tax.
That's no different to ordering online though!

Oh, BTW, I'd add a vote for visiting the store...it's like Santa's grotto!

Kirk Messner June 21st, 2003 04:58 AM

My 10D is on the way from B&H :) The camera, lens, battery, filter, CF card, etc. cost $37.50 to ship 2 day service. If I bought it here, the sales tax would have been a bit over $120.