B&H Prices: Online vs. Store at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

B&H Prices: Online vs. Store

hello all,
I am real close to buying a Panasonic DVX100 and probably will do it via BhPhotovideo.com. I will be taking a trip up to NYC in a few weeks and may stop at the store. The question is, are prices the same on the B&H website and at the B&H store? Or, are prices a little cheaper at the store (since you drop the shipping charge)?

What would you do? Buy at the store or online?
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Major Player

While you'll save on shipping, you have to add sales tax so it all depends on the weight/purchase price! Don't know if the prices are any different in the store though.
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what about sales tax?

Since I don't live in NY State, I avoid sales tax when I purchase from B&H off the internet.

Sales tax may be more than shipping! especially for big ticket items.
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nick...

Take the time to check out the store. I was in NY last September and was impressed by the size of the place and how helpful the people were.

I bought a bag for my XL1 while there. Sure beat carrying the darn thing on my lap all the way back to Honolulu.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old June 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Major Player

The prices in the store are exactly the same as on-line. The only possible difference might be that in general if you find a lower price at a reputable dealer, they will generally match it.

Sales tax in NY City is 8% (or 8 1/4%, I forget) - it is high. You might save by buying on-line as the shipping is usually lower than the tax.

I really enjoy shopping in the store and talking to the sale guys, most of whom have professional experience. They have a good camera display where you can play prety much to your heart's content.

If you are in New York you can't go wrong by visiting the store. Whether you buy there or shop on-line might be a function of your will power.
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #6
High School Student

I'd probably buy it online to save on sales tax, like already mentioned.

I think it would just be worth a trip in itself to NYC to go to their store, people say it's huge and it's a video nerds dream. :D

8% sales tax? Jeez, thats like $80 per $1000 you spend, correct? That dere' math.
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I know that if you live in some states, that if you buy online (from an out-of-state retailer), that at the end of the year, you must pay your own state's sales tax on those items purchased - when you file your end of year state tax.

At least your supposed to! :o]
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I think what Im going to do is buy it online sine I don't want to be carrying it around NYC and all the way back to Texas. Besides, some of those metal detectors...damn....they fried my laptop last time.
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I used to buy 35mm equipment from B&H and they were (and I assume still are) excellent to deal with. Their prices (and often their range of offerings) were better than local dealers in my immediate area. In addition, the cost of shipping beat the sales tax I would have had to pay here.

Given that, I bought my GL2 package from Zotz and am very happy. For me, this particular decision was perfect. I would buy from B&H again, and probably will, but perhaps more in the 35mm realm than with DV.

Sandy
Old June 21st, 2003, 12:26 AM   #10
Wrangler

Order there, have them ship. That should skip the tax.
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Sales tax

8% is high...jeez, you lot don't know a good thing. Here in Switzerland it's 7.8% and that's cheap. In the UK it's 17.5%. Now that's a rip-off!
Quote:
Order there, have them ship. That should skip the tax.
That's no different to ordering online though!

Oh, BTW, I'd add a vote for visiting the store...it's like Santa's grotto!
Old June 21st, 2003, 04:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

My 10D is on the way from B&H :) The camera, lens, battery, filter, CF card, etc. cost $37.50 to ship 2 day service. If I bought it here, the sales tax would have been a bit over $120.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business