Expanding business, how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Expanding business, how?

I've been working for last four years for the most part producing wedding films in Moscow. Worked on a feature film. Also produced several corporate videos, a music video, edited three trailers for Russian movies presented at International Film Markets.

All without really advertiing, or putting any efforts in promoting myself.
This business in Moscow is constantly growing, I work with two additional cameraman and two editors.
Thus my question is how to continue growth, does it make sense to hire more people, to become sort of business manager (which I do not really want), to promote brand, acquire more editing and production equipment and get more projects just like I've done in the past or a better idea is to go "in depth", in quality, to become a better director, to become more creative, look for a script, develop a movie idea, hire screenwriters, etc...

I know it's a general sort of question, what is most typical experience in the US and worldwide? Any input will be appreciated.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Trustee

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in - not as an cameraperson (I'm still learning) but as a reasonably successful businesman.

What do you want to do? 10 years from now, 5 years from now - that's what you should be aiming at. There's no point in expanding a business in the wrong direction and ending up behind a desk when that's not what you want.

work out what you want and go in that direction - if you want to make features, great, keep working on the weddings and do some shorts and build your experience and reputation with the aim of getting paid to shoot features.

if you like what your doing then just get better at that, there's no need to 'build the business' just for the sake of it.

BUT.. if you feel you are successful at what you do and you'd like to build that into a much bigger business then you will most probably have to employ people and that means more paperwork for you because you have to manage the business.

I don't know if any of this is any help but if it gives you something to think about then maybe it is
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
what is most typical experience in the US and worldwide? Any input will be appreciated.
I am in a very similar position. I can't give you a winning formula, but here's my take:

I know how I approach my projects, I know my formulas, my style. I'll market the work I do, and every project will have my trademark style on it. I'll bring on junior staff that will fill in the tedium, and they'll increase in skill. It will get to the point that all I'll need to do is a sort of 'laying on of hands'.

Hire people to do the stuff you're not good at. Accept that others can do things that you can do, and may be able to do them better. Your USP is your vision, your approach, your method, your attention to detail.

Nothing in that about humping flight cases, sweating about focus, logging rushes, riding audio levels, filling in forms, chasing bills, cold calling, following up leads, all that can be outsourced.

The only difficulty is getting staff you can trust. You can find and nurture your own or you can sub it out to freelancers, each route has its benefits and drawbacks.

HTH - I'm thinking out loud...
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Paul and Matt,
thank you for your input, appreciate your time and effort to clarify some things.
I already made a New Year resolution for 2008 of making a movie no matter what is may take.
I am ready to put time and effort into putting together a great convincing story, writing a script, hiring people to help me with the story/script.
Also I realize I would have to raise the money, maybe shoot it on low budget, no problem, that's a great task!
Great feeling of uncertainty is here, but there is also excitement to discover if things imagined can expressed in creative way of film making.

I will stay in touch.
Best regards, Oleg Kalyan.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business