Billing advice for corporate video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stuart View Post
thank you, Mike. Do you ever get clients that "freak out" over your hourly rate card? Just wondering... I'm still debating with myself if I should do that or not, but I for sure want to avoid the type of revisions you mentioned.
I think that my rates are reasonable for professional production. I may lose some business because they "freak out" over the rate card - that's OK. In my limited experience, they are the clients who will drive you nuts with unanticipated demands and endless changes anyway.

Occasionally, I do offer discounts for not-for-profit organizations and start-up small businesses - especially if the project is interesting or I see a real opportunity to help someone launch their venture. That has paid dividends in referrals to other customers and loyality from the person I helped. It's not all about the $.

Other posters have mentioned communication - that's the key. Talk to the potential client with an honest and open attitude and flexible approach. It helps. I'm currently wrapping a short corporate piece - interview and supporting b-roll. On the initial price discussions, I gave them a fixed price with the "allowances" as I described above, which included 2 hours for 1 revision. They have asked for a total of 4 revisions, and one 30 sec. "spin off", not in the original proposal. Each time they ask for a revision, they include a statement to the effect of "We know this is beyond our original agreement - so bill us for the additional work"

I believe that many people have no idea of what goes into professional production - the more clearly you lay that out, the better your relationship with the client will be.

THUD (the sound of me falling off my soap box)!
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiley View Post
There is a good article "Taking Control of Your Billings" here:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/pdf_...ad_version.pdf

(page 15 in the PDF).
this is a great article for anyone else who is dealing with this issue as I am.

thanks!
Mark Stuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business