Grey Market Merchandise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Grey Market Merchandise

What is grey market merchadise??

I'm looking at a camera at Broadway video (XL-2) The price is good but does anyone know or have any info on Broadway? Is it a good Store.

How do they offer lower prices than say B&H

I know their not one of our sponsors so I thought I would check to see if anyone has info or had any dealings with them.
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

check resellersratings.com and you'll see for yourself about the company in question.

On this forum we try very hard to use the sponsor sites as they are the one standing behind this forum. The company in question is not one that is on the list of sponsors here.

BTW grey market generally means, no warranty,none of the accessories that SHOULD be supplied from the manufacturer and in many cases the selling company willuse some high pressure tactics to sell you what should be with the camera anyway.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much Don, I just knew it was to good to be true, you know what they say about to good to be true, Anyway I checked them out on the web and the ratings were bad, really bad.

I will stay with one of our sponsors for sure, pay a little extra for the peace of mind.

Again thanks for yor help
JH
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Trustee

But you're not paying "a little extra" to any of the sponsors. B&H in particular has the best prices. Places like this Broadway Video will *never* deliver a product at the prices they advertise. Ever.

BTW, "Grey Market" means selling something legal through unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended distribution channels. Basically it means your warranty may not be honored.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Major Player

I agree with all of the above. Of all the DVi sponsors, I have only had experience with B&H. I assume that the others are just a reliable as B&H. Chris seems to pride himself in finding good sponsors and we can thank him for that.

I can tell you, however, that even if you save a buck or two going with someone cheaper than B&H, you will get just that - a dealer CHEAPER than B&H. How to they make up their cost difference? Cheap tricks, scrimping on customer service, uninformed and impolite staff, and subjecting you to the hard sell for over-priced "add-on" that probably already came with the kit from the manufacturer.

Like any large organization with tremendous volume of sales, B&H occasionally has a problem with merchandise or customer service, but they seem to go out of thier way to correct it without a battle. Henry Posner, of B&H visits this site frequently and I have seen him address problems that people have posted. That is what I'm talking about - service.

I'm headed to NYC in the next couple of weeks and I have my B&H shopping list ready.

Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; April 14th, 2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: correct info
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think there needs to be a sticky about googling "New York camera stores" and using resellerratings.com or wahatever.

OBVIOUSLY the best thing is to buy from a trusted DVinfo sponsor - I've lately been buying my accessories from B&H and getting insane deals on used/demo stuff that beat "the worlds largest flea market" by a mile.

But it's a community service to let people know that "NY camera stores" aren't all alike, and that many of them are nothing but "bait and switch" scam shops with identical tactics of advertising impossible prices, if you try to buy they tell you silly stories like "it's just for the shell of the camera" (yes I actually heard that one!!!!!) or you won't get any accessories (unless you buy everything ala carte and you can pay top $$ for junk accessories not OEM) or they won't sell you anything...

I wasted a bit of time "testing" a number of these "joints", and let me tell you, after speaking with them, you DON'T want to believe these "unbelievable" deals - they are BOGUS BOGUS BOGUS.

If you want to waste your time, go ahead and try, but use the DVinfo site sponsors if you want a camera and a dealer you can trust!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Major Player

This has been posted before, but for a real eye-opener on some of the "stores" you see advertised in the mags and on-line, take a look at this...

http://donwiss.com/pictures/brooklynstores/

The best looking place in the lot is the B&H Warehouse. (not their real store)
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #8
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
Like any large organization with tremendous volume of sales, B&H occasionally has a problem with merchandise or customer service, but they seem to go out of thier way to correct it without a battle. Henry Posner, of B&H visits this site frequently and I have seen him address problems that people have posted. That is what I'm talking about - service.
Thank you. This is very gratifying and greatly appreciated.
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Major Player

I'll be in the city tomorrow and make my annual pilgrammage to B&H. Good thing I don't live closer - I'd be broke!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business