DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Insurance -- the big discussion thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/122-insurance-big-discussion-thread.html)

Kenneth B. Deckard August 29th, 2007 11:04 PM

Insurance for SE Asia

I'm going to be going from America to SE Asia w/ around $6,000 in video & editing equipment. Does anyone know of a company that would insure someone in my shoes?

Thanks!

Erik Norgaard September 5th, 2007 02:10 AM

Equipment insurance

Hi:

Sorry for posting a new thread. I have been through the "Big insurance thread", and looked at the 4 links to previous threads that are often referred to, three of these no longer exits, and the big thread does not answer my question as it goes into discussion about liability.

I live in Spain, I need an insurance for my equipment, total some 5000 euros, primarily against theft, for travel world wide (I will travel to Costa Rica en November), including Spain. My home insurance only covers stuff at home.

I have tried contacting various companies, some foreing companies requires that I reside in their country. I have found a travel insurance that offers up to 3750 euros coverage which would be fine if not for the max 450 euros per item limit and the Canon XH-A1 is just one item :(

Spanish companies are completely foreign to the idea that amateurs can have professional equipment that needs to be insured, and don't want to mess with world wide coverage. Apparently insurance fraud is common in Spain - people feel insurance is legal robbery so they rob back, and companies try to protect themselves with limited coverage and unlimited exceptions.

Can anyone recommend a company that will insure gear, regardless of where I reside or where I go?

Thanks, Erik

Noa Put September 5th, 2007 03:20 AM

I'm not able to give you any advice on this but just wanted to share my experience, in Belgium it's nearly impossible to find an insurance company to cover for your equipment. I tried an tried and after three year all my equipment is still not insured. Some companies don't even consider to insure it, others require that you have at least 4 other insurances with them, like your car, home and so on. The prices they dare to ask is also ridiculous, main reason for them not to take on these types of insurance is the very high risk involved, I'm also pretty sure the contract has a lot of small prints to cover themselves up if something goes wrong.
Therefore I had to invest in an own security system at home and during work my camera is never out of my hands during the day, my backup cam is in a backpack which I also carry around during the whole day.
I heared stories from videographers loosing equipment in a blink of an eye, especially in a church if you leave your equipment behind to film outside at the end of the ceremonie.
I hope you will find a company who will insure your gear but expect it to be very expensive.

Erik Norgaard September 5th, 2007 04:41 AM

Well, I can add that Europaeiske (in Denmark) offers such an insurance for technical equipment. You pay about 7% of the total value insured and have to provide serial numbers and purchase date and value of each item. The problem is that they don't want to insure anyone not residing in Denmark.

Their partner in Belgium (www.europese.be) may offer you a similar insurance, but I haven't been able to get a quote from the Spanish partner.

Noa Put September 5th, 2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard (Post 739456)
Their partner in Belgium (www.europese.be) may offer you a similar insurance, but I haven't been able to get a quote from the Spanish partner.

Interesting, will give them a call, thanks for the link.

Paul Izbicki September 5th, 2007 03:36 PM

Has anyone tried Lloyd's of London? International, a reputation for insuring ANYTHING, and a slew of niche oriented policy divisions. You already know it isn't gonna be cheap.

If that doesn't pan out, call major metro rental houses, ask for recommendations.

iPaul

Erik Norgaard September 6th, 2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Izbicki (Post 739782)
Has anyone tried Lloyd's of London? International, a reputation for insuring ANYTHING, and a slew of niche oriented policy divisions. You already know it isn't gonna be cheap.

If that doesn't pan out, call major metro rental houses, ask for recommendations.

iPaul

Thanks, actually, so far, the best I have found is from Lloyd (Columbus Direct). It's a general travel insurance covering up to 3750 euros of stuff with a 450 euros per item limit and a 75 euros franchise. But: Video equipment is considered valuables and only covered up to 450 euros, so even if you can get things split in pieces this won't do.

I tried to get them to elaborate on the franchise and it appears that it is 75 euros per item and not per incident (or maybe they just didn't understand the question). This is really bad, because then most stuff won't be replaced.

Cheers, Erik

Randy Durham September 21st, 2007 04:08 PM

I just inked a policy with Supple-Merrill & Driscoll (http://www.productioninsurance.com). It has been about six years since I quoted a new equipment floater policy and these guys were several hundred dollars less than the next competitor. I was able to apply online and get an answer in a couple hours. Has anyone else had any experience with this company?
Thanks! Randy

Anna Harmon December 12th, 2007 10:43 PM

Insuring your gear

Just curious about who you guys use to insure your gear. I'm thinking about it more and more lately and not sure where to research. One company in CA came up but that's it really.

Can you help a sistah out?

Taky Cheung December 12th, 2007 11:48 PM

Do you have renter insurance or home insurance? Those also cover those items. I shoot weddings and I have insurance for the business. One time both of my GL2 were stolen in a hotel. I got 80% of the money back from the insurance claim. Of course that involve getting the police report.

Karl Heiner December 13th, 2007 12:43 AM

My home owner covers only up to $ 5000, and NOT professional equipment.

Taky Cheung December 13th, 2007 12:49 AM

What kind of equipment you have?

Michael Nistler December 13th, 2007 01:04 AM

Hi Taky,

No offense but assuming the "bad guys" could use this info to locate a member's address, owning professional equipment wouldn't it be unwise to discuss specific equipment lists online? (insured or not) After all, this is a public forum...

Warm Regards, Michael

Karl Heiner December 13th, 2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 791593)
What kind of equipment you have?

canon xl1-s
monitor
tripod
field monitors
everything you need, and 5000 is nothing as you know.

Taky Cheung December 13th, 2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Nistler (Post 791597)
No offense but assuming the "bad guys" could use this info to locate a member's address, owning professional equipment wouldn't it be unwise to discuss specific equipment lists online?

I don't worry too much about it. It's not like I give out my SSN.

Taky Cheung December 13th, 2007 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Heiner (Post 791598)
canon xl1-s
monitor
tripod
field monitors
everything you need, and 5000 is nothing as you know.

So, did you insure your equipment?

Bob Hollifield December 13th, 2007 05:10 AM

Anna, Nationwide insurance will let you add an inland marine floater to your tenant or homeowner policy. Be sure to tell them to check professional when they are inputing the data. bob

Anna Harmon December 13th, 2007 07:00 AM

Thanks Bob. Would it be better to get your own insurance or use a production's insurance? Is it wise to insure or should I just think of the costs for repair/replacement as a business expense?

I mean in the long run it's just stuff. Everything can be replaceable (not people).

I haven't had anything break on me until yesterday. Thank God it was only a breakaway cable (don't have time to repair it, have a shoot tomorrow, plus cables are never the same after a repair).

For those wondering why I haven't yet, I don't see why someone has to buy insurance and keep throwing money away on the off chance something will happen.

Michael Nistler December 13th, 2007 11:50 AM

Hi Anna,

Talk to folks like your local NY professional videographer association for lots of horror stories about getting their gear stolen - even when videotaping an event for many hours and leaving 1-2 minutes for a bathroom break. Then there's the issue of injuring someone with your gear, etc. at a paid event. Insurance may not be for everyone, but it reminds me of the pogniant bumper sticker, "Backups are for sissies!"

Regards, Michael

Anna Harmon December 13th, 2007 05:44 PM

Ha ha Michael! Call me a rebel!

I hear ya on that. But doesn't that fall on the production company?

Michael Nistler December 13th, 2007 08:16 PM

Hi Anna,

Yes, that's usually true if you're dealing with a legitimate production firm - check your T&Cs to see if you're covered or not. There may be a world of difference between status as an hourly employee, individual contract, business firm subcontract, etc.

Indies are another matter, and of course if you are the production company, they let your conscious be your guide!

Regards, Michael

Anna Harmon December 13th, 2007 09:35 PM

I just bitch until someone pays for the replacement or repair.

It's been working fine. I mean if it happens during their production because of someone else (not me), then they're partially liable.

Even with insurance it takes forever to actually get anything for your loss and then it's depreciated. Nevermind if it was mint.

And what if you have a shoot the next day? Are you supposed to rent 'til they replace? Front the money 'til you get it back?

I don't really get it. You're paying either way.

Sounds like a racket. I can understand why you would need it for a production but for individuals to insure their gear, I'm still not convinced. I'm super curious though.

Steve House December 14th, 2007 04:55 AM

Self-insurance is fine when it comes to your own gear - you asses your risks, pays your money, and takes your chances. But liability insurance to cover your responsibility for injury to others is another matter - having that coverage when your activities might present some risk to others is just part of one's obligation to be a responsible citizen even if there is no specific legal requirement. If a hot light that you've failed to secure properly falls over and severely injures someone, it's you who should rightly pay for the consequences and if you can't afford to pay out of your own pocket the thousands upon thousands of dollars a serious injury would cost, it's your ethical responsiblilty to carry insurance coverage that will. Plus when you go on location there are a number of venues that won't let you set foot on the property without proof of coverage so that they aren't liable for accidents to you or your gear or for injury you might cause others while on their property.

Anna Harmon December 14th, 2007 08:29 AM

So Steve do you have insurance or do you leave it to the production company?

Wayne Brissette December 14th, 2007 09:31 AM

Here is one company recommended to me:

Brandy Mcgrew
DeWitt Stern of California Insurance Services
10969 Ventura Boulevard
Studio City, CA 91604
Tel. 818-623-5429
Fax. 818-623-5469
bmcgrew@dewittstern.com
www.dewittstern.com

I still haven't gotten my insurance, although looking at rates and what is and isn't covered, I'm having a tough time deciding what to do as far as how much coverage vs. cost.

Wayne

Anna Harmon December 14th, 2007 09:33 AM

Wayne, that's the company I looked at as well. My quote was astronomical. But I was insuring ALL my stuff.

Wayne Brissette December 14th, 2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna Harmon (Post 792403)
Wayne, that's the company I looked at as well. My quote was astronomical. But I was insuring ALL my stuff.

Well, me too... but when I typically have close to 25K worth of gear on-site at shoots, I really do need coverage. On major shoots, the production company picks up any insurance but on industrial and smaller shoots, I'm on my own. I have only once rented out any of my gear without me being on-site, but that kind of scared me a bit. Although I have to admit I have a very good working relationship with Zaxcom so if anything had happened to my Deva when I wasn't there, I'm sure I could have worked something out with them.

Wayne

Steve House December 14th, 2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna Harmon (Post 792378)
So Steve do you have insurance or do you leave it to the production company?

At the present I don't have the need but you can bet as my situation evolves it will be high on the list of priorities.

Anna Harmon December 14th, 2007 02:53 PM

I can't imagine renting out my gear. Unless it was a sound buddy who needed something right quick I'm not advertising a rental.

BTW, not too happy that this got moved. This is an audio equipment question, to generalize it and put it in this thread hurts me. Chris, did you do this? I wanted sound people to answer this specifically, I don't wanna hear from the video folks (no offense to the video guys).

Michael Nistler December 14th, 2007 03:19 PM

Geez Anna, I thought it was a brilliant move that they reposted you here (but what do I know, association was never my strong area).

Still, it seems like the cost of pro-audio gear is in the same genre as videographers. Ditto with hazardous problems associated with XLR cables, electrical shock, boom poles vs C stands, etc.

OTOH, I'd agree audio engineers work processes are often quite different than a DP. Hopefully, you'll still get some helpful responses here in this thread.

Warm Regards, Michael

Chris Hurd December 14th, 2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna Harmon (Post 792588)
This is an audio equipment question, to generalize it and put it in this thread hurts me.

No, it ain't an audio equipment question. It's a general business question, and obviously a good one (just look at how big this thread is). Please use the *entire* site. If you want responses from audio folks, just say so -- but the topic definitely belongs in Taking Care of Business. We want our members to use all of what DV Info Net has to offer. Thanks for understanding,

Paul Kellett January 2nd, 2008 03:36 PM

Insurance for camera kit in UK.

Hi,can anyone recommend an insurance provider for camera and kit,i'm in the uk.
I need insurance for theft,accidental damage and public liabilty.
Has anyone had to make a claim and if so how did you get on ?
What sort of monthly/yearly premium should i expect to pay for around £10k worth of kit ?
Also has anyone had any bad experiences with any insurances companies,which i'd be better off avoiding.
Thanks.

Stewart Menelaws January 3rd, 2008 03:49 AM

Hi Paul - Couple of English companies for you to try...

Imaging Insurance - tel:01784 486890
email: info@imaginginsurance.co.uk

Morgan Richardson Ltd - tel:01277 630666
email: quotes@morganrichardson.co.uk

You will find that you can choose various types of cover that will of course alter the cost.

Regarding liability cover... make sure you are covered for the kind of work you are doing, in some cases for example you will not be able to tender for certain contracts if you do not have 5 million cover.... and so on.

The two companies above regularly advertise in various professional journals... to date we have not had any need to make a claim so I can't comment on that...

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Paul Kellett January 4th, 2008 04:52 AM

Thanks matey,i'll give them a try.
Paul.

Michael Rosenberger January 7th, 2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Nistler (Post 792144)
of course if you are the production company, they let your conscious be your guide!

Regards, Michael

Very true Michael.

Dan Keaton January 7th, 2008 02:38 PM

Dear Anna,

If you have an insurance agent, ask about an "Inland Marine" policy or rider to your homeowners insurance.

I have one to cover my gear.

My insurance agent told me that I would not have been able to get this if I did not have a good insurance record.

In other words, if one files frequent insurance claims, then it is unlikey that that person would be approved for an "Inland Marine" policy.

Martin Pauly April 28th, 2008 02:45 PM

This post (the one I quote) is about a year old - the most recent I could find on this topic:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 667145)
1 Million in Liability coverage. If your not with State Farm now, give them a call, cuz they will give you multicoverage discount with your house, cars, business, etc...

I tried. My State Farm agent told me they don't have anything to cover liability for video/film - a bit surprising after I read the above post.

I've been quite happy with State Farm in general, so this was disappointing news. If anyone is willing to provide a little more detail on what exactly they got through State Farm (so that I can take that information to my agent and ask him to get me something similar), I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,
Martin

Bob Diffenderfer May 8th, 2008 04:17 PM

Insurance for my video biz - Any recommendations?

After repeated screw ups from my soon to be fired insurance agent, I need to find a new insurance agent/company for my business. It's pretty basic, I need a million in liability coverage and of course equipment coverage. Does anyone have any recommendations?

R. L. Appling May 8th, 2008 04:25 PM

Think about separating the two issues into two individual policies. I use Haulmark trailers to move my gear from shoot to shoot. I use State Farm to insure the trailers and get a personal effects policy to cover the "personal property" that is inside the trailer (as contents are not automatically covered as many might naturally think) I never use the name of my company as to this insurance, only the production insurance goes under the company name. For this I shop around and use a low cost vendor with a large deductible to keep costs down. Once I had my production trailer damaged on set by a tow truck and the policies worked fine for me.

Don Bloom May 8th, 2008 06:28 PM

RVNuccio dot com is fairly reasonable. Everything is done online including the C of I you get. The policy is backed by Firemans Insurance. I've never filed a claim but I've been happy with the price and the response to questions.
YMMV

Don