DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Insurance -- the big discussion thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/122-insurance-big-discussion-thread.html)

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 09:54 AM

It's a bit difficult to give recommendations on companies when you don't specify where in the world you are.

But my kit is on home contents (you don't have to be a homeowner to get home contents insurance BTW, if you rent you should have it also).

Sean Manning May 29th, 2003 10:49 AM

Insurance

Nigel,
Thanks for the info mate, I'm living in California. I think that I will enquire with my old homeowners property agent. Had to drop it recently because finances were so tight :-)

Best
Sean

Keith Loh May 29th, 2003 11:43 AM

I have a rider on my renters insurance as well that protects my camera.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 12:01 PM

In my experience, it's cheaper to get kit added to home contents than to take out a separate policy, so it's worth looking in to.

Just make sure that the policy really does cover you for all foreseeable circumstances.

Good luck!

Sean Manning May 29th, 2003 03:22 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate it. :-)

Best
Sean

Derrick Begin May 30th, 2003 07:41 AM

Insured my camera through State Farm in New York. (Renters/Apartment insurance) The camera takes up the bulk of the payment because it is used outside of the studio. About 200 bucks a year with a 500.00 deductable.

It also insures everything in my studio.

Cheers!

Paul Sedillo May 30th, 2003 07:11 PM

You might take a look at this post from Dylan Cooper. He gives a couple of references to insurance:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=8725

Rob Belics June 1st, 2003 11:06 AM

Rental insurance

Rental houses require insurance on your part for their equipment. The place I'm going to rent from doesn't have insurance you can get through them. Who sells insurance for equipment and other things for an 8 day shoot? How much?

Brad Higerd June 4th, 2003 12:08 PM

GL2 Insurance May Not Be As Expensive As You Thought

I just insured my GL2, Lowepro Dry Zone 200, and all the stuff inside (value based on receipts = $4,200) under my homeowners policy for $56 dollars per year! In addition to the 3 year service agreement through the vendor, my camera is now insured for accidental damage, vandalism, theft, fire, lightening (Big in Central Florida), and any freak accident that might ever happen to it. To make the deal even better, no deductible!

I use State Farm.

Thought someone might like to know about this...

Tustin Larson June 4th, 2003 12:41 PM

Brad,
Thank you for that information, I also have all of my equiptment insured under my Homeowners Policy with State Farm. It is even covered if I am out in the field somewhere and gets stolen, damaged, etc. AWESOME!

Thanx,

Robert Poulton June 4th, 2003 01:02 PM

Brad,
I'll have to sign up for that one. Sounds like a good deal.

Rob:D

Jeff Price June 4th, 2003 03:09 PM

These are usually riders on your policy (I have the same thing on all of my optical gear). There may be a catch though if you use the equipment professionally. That might require a different policy/rider and I'd bet it's more expensive!

Brad Higerd June 4th, 2003 03:46 PM

Jeff,

When setting up this additional coverage, I was asked if the camera was used professionally. After telling him that it was presently only costing me money, my agent told me the difference in cost for professional use is nominal. He has never mislead me before.

Brad

Benjamin Taft June 4th, 2003 09:42 PM

My XM-2 is hopefully on the way and I'm in the lookout for a good insurance. My homeowners policy (Trygghansa) only covers valuables that cost less then $1200. If I wan't my camera covered I have to buy an extra seperate insurance costing me about $90.

Any of our swedish comminity members have any suggestions/recomendations for what companys plan I should go with?

Also what is the standard practice if you need to make use of your insurance. Do you usually have to wait a long time for them to approve things and then buy it through some company that they have contacts with? I would like to know what I should demand/expect from them.

Boyd Ostroff June 5th, 2003 08:40 AM

I have all my computer, photo and video gear covered under a rider on my State Farm homeowners policy as well. Last winter my wife had a break-in at her apartment where she was staying while attending grad school out of town. A digital camera, laptop and some peripherals were stolen. State Farm was great and I got reimbursed for everything within a month or two.

They sent me a check. The only thing that wasn't fully covered was a two year old digital camera. They pro-rated its value based on age, however they offered another hundred bucks or so if I submitted a receipt for purchase of a replacement. They just wouldn't cover anymore if we didn't replace. It turned out to be a non-issue since digital cameras have gotten so much cheaper these days, I was able to get her something better than the old one for the amount they paid.

In all respects, I've been very happy with my State Farm homeowners and auto policies. But it's also important to have a good agent to deal with.

Stephen Schleicher June 5th, 2003 11:40 AM

State Farm Rocks

I too have seperate riders for my equipment. I have a rider for my laptop that I take back and forth to work so if it get lost or stolen it will be covered. I made sure all my video equipment and computers are also covered under seperate riders. Not that much extra money at all.

Steve Nunez June 7th, 2003 07:27 AM

Would anyone have information on how to get insurance for apartment dwellers?

I must have a good $20G or so in my place and don't have a lick of insurance- apartment insurance seems like a good investment- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Paul Sedillo June 7th, 2003 07:34 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nunez : Would anyone have information on how to get insurance for apartment dwellers?

I must have a good $20G or so in my place and don't have a lick of insurance- apartment insurance seems like a good investment- can anyone point me in the right direction? -->>>

Steve your best bet is to locate a local insurance agent and secure renters insurance. Any of the large companies should be able to provide this type of coverage (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate). Ask around (friends, family, etc.) and get a recommendation. I would call several of the aforementioned companies and get quotes.

Boyd Ostroff June 7th, 2003 08:18 AM

Paul is correct. You really should have insurance, not only for your posessions but especially for liability. It's one thing to lose $20,000 worth of gear but entirely another to get sued for $1,000,000! Actually the policy I had while living in an apartment was called a "homeowners" policy anyway. Talk to an agent, it isn't all that expensive.

Kevin Burnfield June 17th, 2003 03:23 PM

when I inquired with my agent about coverage for my equipment she said it would be covered under homeowners but only if were 'not for professional use'.

If so you've got to get a seperate rider deal for it. Be careful about that.

Jeff Price June 17th, 2003 03:46 PM

You may want to get the rider anyway - the coverage is probably better.

K. Forman July 24th, 2003 08:24 AM

Locations and Insurance Certificates

Hello all-
I recently spoke with the Corporate HQ of a chain of stores, one of which I would like to use as a location. I was told it would be no problem, just send a waiver clearing them of responsibility in case of injury, and my insurance certificate.

I can guess that the certificate would be coverage in case of damages, but how much would I need, and where do I get it?

Don Bloom July 24th, 2003 02:28 PM

A million is minimum. Check with your insurance person that has your house and car, sometimes they will offer hazard and liability for business as well as covering your gear. If not ask who they know ,you'll probably have to go to a commerical carrier or broker.
Don

K. Forman July 24th, 2003 03:39 PM

Thanks Don. Any idea as to what I can expect to pay?

Don Bloom July 24th, 2003 04:31 PM

Keith,
That'll depend. Lot of variables. Not too bad though, I have E&O, liability, all my gear is covered no matter where or what, the only thing they won't do is edit for me, and it 's costing me about a grand a year. I have all my stuff insured for REPLACEMENT VALUE and have 2 million liability and 1/2 million E&O. It's call a Business Owners Policy or something like that.

Don

K. Forman July 24th, 2003 04:45 PM

I was looking for a one shot deal, just to get me through production. I would actually only need it for the 6 scenes shot in the store, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to carry it till the end of production. Do they have something like that?

Don Bloom July 24th, 2003 06:05 PM

Hmmmm, good question. Don't know, I'm sure someone does, but I have no idea who. Maybe a call to your insurance person and they can get you on the right track.
Good Luck in your quest!
Don

K. Forman July 24th, 2003 08:17 PM

Thanks for the help Don. I'm leary of calling anyone around here, as I just keep getting misinformation or blank stares.

K. Forman July 30th, 2003 01:03 PM

I just recieved a call back from an insurance company. I called, asking for an insurance certificate for an independant feature I would like to shoot. She called back, saying there was a company that could help, but they needed info. She then asked how much the project would cost. Not having all things considered, I estimated a low budget, $600-800. You could almost hear a pin drop. They will have a minimum requirement of $5,000. I thought you said this was a big feature production? No, I said this was an independant feature. But thank you, I'll keep looking.

Am I going to keep running into this? I really only need the Insurance certificate to secure the use of one location, but would like to have it for any secondary locations.. Any ideas?

Dan Uneken August 12th, 2003 05:56 AM

Talk to the people from the chain again & explain the situation. Sign a paper that you'll personally be liable for damages. Perhaps they'll go for it. Your're not filming an ultralight flying around the store, are you?

K. Forman August 12th, 2003 06:38 AM

Hey! I like that! I'll add it to the script now :)

Josh Bass November 17th, 2003 02:27 PM

Equipment insurance?

Well, I suppose it was gonna come up eventually. How can I go about insuring my gear? I just talked to an insurance agent, and he said right now it's pretty tough to find anyone willing to write what he called a "floater policy."

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 17th, 2003 03:57 PM

I am not an expert, but if you are not using your equipement "professionnally" (you do not receive income from your videography activities) you can pass it on your house insurance (I don't know if there is a specific terme for this in english).

I have myself modified my house insurance to cover all risks (like a camera that fell on the ground) for almost nothing more.

In the professionnal area, it must exist some specifics insurances.

Josh Bass November 17th, 2003 04:06 PM

Yeah, unfortunately it's a mix of both.

Michel Brewer November 17th, 2003 11:20 PM

you might try triple aaa

I have been shopping also and the best deal, Ive found is AAA (you have to be a member) State Farm wanted 500 a year for my gear and AAA gave it to me for 225 a year. This covers it in my car from theft, and me being a ass and dropping it off a bridge etc, its a add on to my renters insurance and is covering about 25,000 worth of gear.

m

Josh Bass November 18th, 2003 12:39 AM

Damnit! I am indeed NOT a member! Any other suggestions? Throw 'em at me.

Dave Largent November 18th, 2003 03:54 PM

Michel, how's that work? If all your gear were stolen, do they need a list ahead of time of what you have? Receipts? Do they care if it's used professionally? Deductible?

Josh Bass November 18th, 2003 04:03 PM

How much does AAA membership cost?

Michel Brewer November 18th, 2003 04:12 PM

triple aaa

Dave & Josh

AAA membership is around 35-40 a year, I gave agent a list of gear and have photos of all the equipment. The interesting part he didnt seem to care about the gears use for work, I told him my profession and he just said ok explained I was covered for everything and sent me the coverage and of course a bill.

Since its in my car going from site to site, or travelling with me etc, it definately makes me calmer.

Michel

PS Josh a lot of times triple a will send out a discount preapproved membership for about 35, the insurance services are located inside their offices might check in if your driving by and get the cost from them.

Josh Bass November 18th, 2003 04:57 PM

I see. So for like 265 a year, I can insure up to $25,000 worth of gear? (Hey that rhymed!)