Archiving Customer Projects/Data? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Archiving Customer Projects/Data?

Just wondering how other people handle archive of customer projects.

At this time I keep all customer data archived for "some amount of time", typically until the customer tells me that they "will never need it again". The amount of data is manageable . . . for now.

Given storage requirements, logistics, etc. I've been thinking about changing the model. Maybe even charging customers a monthly fee to keep their data (and as an option offering to transfer the data to them on a hard drive they purchase at no charge).

So . . . what do you do?
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Trustee

my temporary solution has been to simply keep all the tapes, keep the video & audio & project related files on external HDs (if possible) or burn the data to DVD-Rs. I have however had one project that had 2 DVD-Rs get corrupted data so I will have to re-record the involved tapes.

I may be stepping up to Blu-Ray just for the 35GB storage. Though at the current price per disc & burner, I may just keep buying external HDs to store all the data.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Major Player

It depends on the individual client and his needs, but I frequently build the price of an external drive into the price. At the end of the project I give him the HD with all his captured footage, all the original tapes, and if I do not hold any rights to the edit, I'll even give them the FCP files as well.

For many of my clients this has proved to be a good idea. Even when they've told me that the project is completely done, and they'll never need it again, I've had them come back a year or two later and want a re-cut of their project.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business