Actors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Actors

Does anyone have a good free online resource for finding actors? I need to find some quick and local. Im in NJ.... if anyone can help, I will owe you.
Michael
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:38 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

I've heard BACKSTAGE magazine mentioned for the NY area. Perhaps there is a website or bulletin board associated with it.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 06:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Try this one:

http://www.flixusa.com/

It is broken down regionally. Good luck.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Your local and regional theatre groups are GREAT places to find talented, anxious and willing to work for free actors.

I've always had luck and a lot of times the theatre folks will help you audition and recommend folks.

If it's a freebee project let them know upfront and tell them you'll give them a copy of the finished project and that they will have a resume piece to add.

Don't forget to get releases from everyone too.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'll second Kevin's recommendation. I am currently casting Episode 20 for Lady X Films. My co-producer, Jennifer Newman, has theatrical experience and persuaded me to use formal auditions. We ran a "cattle-call" in a local theatrical paper clearly indicating that the assignment offers only exposure and experience, no compensation. The response has been overwhelming. We auditioned 33 people (for 4 roles) last week and will be auditioning approximately 40 more (the "overflow") next week. Virtually all of our respondents have quite a bit of acting experience, mainly in off-Broadway and local theater but some in tv, commercials and indie films.

Your mileage may vary with such an approach. The regional situation might be different here in Chicago than on the East Coast. But it's worth a try.

One last suggestion. Even if your project offers no compensation treat your talent, and prospective talent, with respect and courtesy. ANd run your auditions and production as professionally as possible. Actors are used to be rejected and treated like meat. They greatly appreciate being treated with dignity and respect. (Don't we all?)

Good luck with your project!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Major Player

My son is a professional actor with agents in several cities. He, too, works for free when warranted. He always appreciates the practice. One big thing is, like Ken said, being treated professionally. Equally important is how professional is the crew. He is more than willing to work with people just getting started. However, if the crew is a bunch of clowns, forget it. He wants serious work.

You'll find most actors are the same way. You probably won't get the guys that are working regularly, but there are a lot of good, out of work, actors. There might be an artsy newspaper in your area and in the classifieds would be an "Artistic Opportunities" or "Auditions" heading. We have both including the major newspaper.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree with Rob, professionalism is key. If you're not paying your actors make sure that you've planned your shoot and are providing meals and a good working environment. It makes for better performances. The last thing you want is your actors feeling like they're being taken advantage of and that you won't do your best to make the best movie possible with your limited resources.
Steve Franco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business