Is it a legal requirement to have a permit in LA for small size crew at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Europe's first HD Owner Operator

Is it a legal requirement to have a permit in LA for small size crew

Is it a LEGAL requirement for a small size crew ie numbering 1-3 to have a film permit in LA or is it a guideline that is percieved as being a law?

I won't be convinced unless I see the code:)

I am not proposing that small crews should obstuct or interfere with the public.

Mike Brennan
Michael Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here in LA you almost need a permit for everything plus insurance. Go to this site and ask the organization who gives out the permits.
http://filmla.com/index.html
We can all speculate here but to get an immediate correct answer contact film LA. If you have to get permits, thats who you would get it through.
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Matt I'll do that and ask them for the law.

Mike Brennan
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hahaha ok. Best to consult the professionals who deal with that for every production. Best of luck to you!
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
hahaha ok. Best to consult the professionals who deal with that for every production. Best of luck to you!
Matt, I don't see what it is you find funny.
Many small size crews (and production managers) think they need filming permits for NYC and London Im wondering if the same misinformation that is happening in these cities is occuring in LA.

Mike Brennan
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Relax I wasn't meaning any disrepect I was laughing at the fact you said you were going to get the law from them and I was just laughing. Typically the rule of 3 applies everywhere which is if your crew is under 3 then you do not need permits as long as you are not doing any intensive filming. I was also laughing because we just got shut down by LAPD when we were under 3 crew members. Here in LA things are a bit more strict when it comes to having permits to shoot so thats why I said it would be good to check. I was not making fun of you!
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7

Sorry matt I was a bit over sensative.

Rule three sounds sensible, but it still gives leeway for police to shut you down, does this happen often?

We have been having a hard time in London, which we are trying to resolve with various bodies.

Mike Brennan
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Major Player

my .02

I was always told (at least here in NY), if you're using a tripod in public, you need a permit.
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Mike, I have found anytime you are on public property filming regardless of number of crew a permit is required so police wont shut you down. if you have just one bystander who calls into police you get shut down without a permit regardless if you were interrupting them or not. It sucks but a hard reality here in LA. Now I just get permits for everything and everywhere.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Hey Mike, I have found anytime you are on public property filming regardless of number of crew a permit is required so police wont shut you down. if you have just one bystander who calls into police you get shut down without a permit regardless if you were interrupting them or not. It sucks but a hard reality here in LA. Now I just get permits for everything and everywhere.
This is the kind of situation that is beginning to happen here too. Permits being demmanded where none are legally required... at the expense of not being able to shoot at short notice when the weather is good, a big problem in London.

Mike Brennan
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #11
Major Player

It is a legal requirement to have a permit and insurance by city ordinance, there is probably something on the county level as well. If you have anything besides a hand held camera be prepared to be stopped by police. As you can imagine they crack down on that stuff pretty hard.
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb View Post
It is a legal requirement to have a permit and insurance by city ordinance, there is probably something on the county level as well. If you have anything besides a hand held camera be prepared to be stopped by police. As you can imagine they crack down on that stuff pretty hard.
Matt, does that include rule 3 size crews?

Mike Brennan
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Major Player

I don't believe there are any exceptions based on the size of your crew. The rule of 3 thing seems to be just common sense for attracting the attention of people. There is nothing magic about the number 3, at least here in LA.

I'd be interested to see what you hear from Film LA though.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Call Film LA, if you only have 3 crew they should be able to issue you a permit for that for no cost (might depend on where the final product is headed). You still may need insurance but i can't remember.
I know we did this for a web show on Venice Boardwalk and had no trouble with any cops since we had papers to show we where allowed to shoot there.
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Major Player

LA's tricky, I got stopped while shooting on the Santa Monica Pier. 2 man crew. Then on another trip to LA Iwas shooting on the Venice beach strip and had no issues, same 2 person crew. I was shooting with sticks on both shoots, sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't. In any case if you don't have a permit, SHOOT FAST.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business