Event experience -which approach is better? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Event experience -which approach is better?

Any suggestion as to how to approach getting experience doing a wedding? I dont' plan to specialize in weddings but would like to have the skill.
I only have one camera and am getting more confident in my skills, but am not quite there yet. I"ve done one wedding, two years ago, for a friend which was mostly a learning thing, and also she probably would not want me showing it for a number of personal confidentiality reasons.
Should I approach a wedding photographer, do one on my own, and hope for the best? I don't know any videographers at this time who I would feel comfortable asking to shadow (actually, I don't know very many at all).
THanks for your thoughts
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Trustee

You got to get out there and do it, we all did. I offered my services to a few friends for free with the expressed purpose of gaining experience and showing the videos to prospective clients. After doing two freebies, I never had to do that again. Most of my clients didn't ask or care how many weddings I shot, as long as my previous work looked good.

I didn't work with any other local videographers, because their style was more "camera locked down on a tripod in the back of the church" where mine was more cinematic.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris is right, but it might help...

if you changed your location from "USA" to at least the state you live in, if not the nearest city. Folks here can be very helpful. I've made a few contacts and got a few jobs through this forum; opportunities for you may come sooner if people know a) where you are, or b) where you're willing to travel to. Keep an eye on "Helping Hands". You never know when opportunity might knock.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business