Might have been ripped off... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Major Player

I don't know how that works on this job but I'm adding a line on my future invoices that mention it to try to encourage payment.

For now I'll just play this one out and see where it goes.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Major Player

Philip,

The loudest squeak gets greased. As the others have said, don't start a job with out 1) contract, purchase order spelling out exactly what is agreed to in writing. 2) an advance to cover at minimum your costs, no matter what. Even with established clients. If you have a crew, producers, assistants, rental gear, , make-up, models, lunch, beer, you don't want to keep them waiting because they won't want to work with you, so at least you've got them covered.

Never wait 60 days to get paid. Ever. I'm sorry. that's just to damn long. I don't hesitate to call the accounts receivable dept. Can they pay in installments (good faith)? They too should have received some sizable advance from their source to, right? They are counting on you being fearful of collecting, being a creative person. It's not pleasant, but start calling. You will have to realize that if and when you get paid whether they will work with you again, scoping out someone else they think they can take advantage of. You don't need this crap. Look for reasonable clients, and develop a re pore with them

About two years ago, just as the economy was starting to get bad, I decided to NOT work for anyone that was cheap, did not pay me enough for the cost of doing business, and paid slow. It's just plain disrespectful, and should make you wonder how they are running their business.

After hitting the delete button on those type of clients, I suddenly found I had time on my hands. I've used that time to learn editing, cameras, all things video, which is why I am here on these forums. I know I will always be learning, but I digress. And that time has been more valuable than the bad clients that kept me running around so I could buy a cup of coffee for myself every no and then.

After 29 years as a still photographer, I branched my business out to doing small video production for my existing clients. Slow going, but it's happening.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business