What to charge community organisation for promotional video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Major Player

What to charge community organisation for promotional video?

Hi Everyone

Posted this here as wasn't too sure where else it would fit...

Just wondering what typical discounts there would be when making a 'corporate'/promotional video for a community organisation, and if there's any links you could recommend about these type of rates?

I'd be making the video on HD, lighting it myself, wireless mics, digital Final Cut editing etc.

I definitely want to give the group a heavy discount but would just like something in black and white to base my discount on.

Truly appreciate any suggestions you may have.

All the best
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunphy View Post
Moved from Open DV to Taking Care of Business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Several ways to go about this, I think:

1) Free. That's what I do for community stuff.

2) Just enough to cover your daily expenses and overhead, no profit. Several online calculators for figuring this out linked to from other threads on this forum.

3) Half off your regular rates. Easiest.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris and Adam much appreciated :)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Depends on the group. I just gave a local organization a quote. I create the quote based on my regular rates, so they can see up front what this would "normally" cost, then I cut that total in half. So I'm giving them half-price.

Another non-profit I'm working with does not get any discount. I know they have plenty of money - more than most businesses I typically work with.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm with Adam on this. If it's a full-on charity you're just "adding your light to the sum of light."

Depending upon the organization, I may not charge anything no matter how well they are funded. Not sure if I could live with myself if my fee deprived someone of even the most rudimentary meal or shelter, and many would consider me a full on hard case.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #7
Major Player

That's great feedback - thanks guys
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It varies but you're seeing the range already.

Notify them of your full rate so they know the value of your services.
Then examine your motives and their situation. Some organizations are reasonably funded and budgeted for this sort of thing and, of course, many are not.

To evaluate the value to you/your business examine how well they promote their work. If they do it well, they may promote you as well.

Their donors and supporters will see your work and, while you may do the project for free for the organization, the donors may become your next paying clients.

If you work for free make absolutely sure you get visibly credited.

Ask if such organization will include your credited video on their website (with a means - such as hyperlink - for people to contact you).

Ask if a link to the video will be included in any mailings, brochures, etc.

Ask what are their promotional/marketing plans for the video you provide.

Any work done for less then full rate should include some cross promotional plan that makes you visible to their donors/supporters.

Even if that doesn't occur it can be worthwhile simply to gain experience and material for your reel.

When it comes to working for free, this is one case where it's worthwhile since you're not getting ripped off by a for profit entity. In fact this may be the best way to work for free and have something you're proud to show.

Of course you can do work for them simply because you believe in the cause but if you don't derive income from your work you eventually wont be able to afford the gear to offer your services.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Depending upon the organization, I may not charge anything no matter how well they are funded. Not sure if I could live with myself if my fee deprived someone of even the most rudimentary meal or shelter, and many would consider me a full on hard case.
I'm sure I won't charge full rate for an organization that's feeding the hungry and clothing the naked, but non-profits come in all sizes and shapes. The one I'm charging full rate was established to help small businesses start, grow and stay in business. Since their charter is to encourage small business, I don't think it would be right to accept anything less than my full rate.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I'm with Adam on this. If it's a full-on charity you're just "adding your light to the sum of light."

Like you alluded to, there are some non-profits that aren't exactly feeding huddled masses.

E.g.: "FINRA is a non-profit regulatory organization charged with overseeing and enforcing regulations within the securities industry. FINRA licenses brokers and registers brokerage firms, writes rules to govern their behavior, examines them for regulatory compliance and disciplines those who fail to comply."

I couldn't live with myself if I DIDN'T charge these guys.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunphy View Post
Hi Everyone

Just wondering what typical discounts there would be when making a 'corporate'/promotional video for a community organisation, and if there's any links you could recommend about these type of rates?

I'd be making the video on HD, lighting it myself, wireless mics, digital Final Cut editing etc.

I definitely want to give the group a heavy discount but would just like something in black and white to base my discount on.
There's reasonable amount of funding for community organisations in Northern Ireland, so I'd check up on the status of the organisation you're dealing with. They may be able to access funding for making the promotional video if they tick the right boxes for a particular scheme.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Another option is some cases is to apply for external grant funds with the agency or charity in question as the primary applicant and you as the service provider as a co-applicant. Of course, this is assuming that the video project in question is substantial enough to warrant the jumping through of hoops. Shooting a single speaker at a podium for 15 minutes probably doesn't qualify but a comprehensive 20 minute DVD and web campaign certainly may.

I've done a couple of these and they are far from quick but often justifiable.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the valuable information guys - really appreciate it.

Peter
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #14
Equal Opportunity Offender

I've done this sort of thing before for an organisation whereby I did a web site for a greatly reduced (read: nominal) fee.

What I didn't count on was the extra hours involved in explaining and justifying every step of the process to people who were (understandably) at the housewife level. Yes, the hours clocked in the first meeting ate the budget.

The pain level wouldn't have been there if they were already marketing savvy.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Always list hours at full rate and show discounted rate. At least they will know what service value they've received.

When you donate such discounted services you need to make it clear that that does NOT include training unless of course you want to donate that too.

If they insist on "justification" then they need to pay for full service. As the expression goes, they should NOT be looking "a gift horse in the mouth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I've done this sort of thing before for an organisation whereby I did a web site for a greatly reduced (read: nominal) fee.

What I didn't count on was the extra hours involved in explaining and justifying every step of the process to people who were (understandably) at the housewife level. Yes, the hours clocked in the first meeting ate the budget.

The pain level wouldn't have been there if they were already marketing savvy.

Andrew
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business