how much would i make at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

how much would i make

I'm a 22 year old college student studying construction managment. But I Edit and film on the side. I have taken some After Effects classes, and i'm pretty good with it. I have produced 3 skateboard videos that have great write ups in major world wide magazines, and i have also make 2 commercials. If i wanted to get a job doing editing/video work how much do you think i could get. Or if i did some freelance work that is great, how much do you think i could make.
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,
I've really no idea, but I do know that it's a tough business to get into. It probably depends on your location and the local market. But the ranks of editors are certainly swelling with the proliferation of desktop nle users.

Best tip: find a niche and lead with that specialty. If you're studying construction management, you may have already found your niche. A project's architects, general contractors and subcontractors, construction insurers, product manufacturers, et.al. would all be potential clients for video documentary work. Your knowledge of a construction site's activity (ie. a "rebar" is not a retro-style drinking establishment) would help to leverage you into such work above others without such knowledge. One thing leads to another!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, yeah I wouldn't mind doing some stuff for an architect or someone like that. I dont know to many in the industry who do commercials, but they might need some little stuff done for like meeting and seminars?
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:49 AM   #4
New Boot

Mike
My advice is to find a prod'n company or tv station and offer to intern or do work for experience programs - markets vary and accordingly money to be earned. The experience enables you improve and vary your showreel - which becomes a great assest - the general thought on skateboarding videos is whilst they are good they tend to be very formatted and unscripted - you need to work on script discipline in both edit and video performance
Hope that helps
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Warden

There are very few paid internships in the US and no guarantees of a future job. It's great experience and can be a foot in the door, but hiring is slow at most production companies and TV stations across the US. In other words I wouldn't give up your day job.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

$min wage in your state to 25hr ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business