Human Subject Release Form at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 18th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Human Subject Release Form

Just looking for a basic release form.

hard to explain... why..
I shoot events, usualyl private functions, and the clients arre treated as private paying customers. Totally non commercial.
However some fo these events include performers like hypnotists, stage shows, Strip shows etc etc...

now these performers have constantly asked for copies of their performances for their Demo's and Promo's however to this date i have not given any material out, due to privacy and confidentiality for teh actual client.

Remember these people ARENT the paying client.

Now what i have been doing, is requesting they contact the client directly for permission to obtain an EXTRACT of the clients presentation. (basically THEIR requesting to have a copy of their own performance)

Now as i mentioned some of these performances include other people, and as this is then to be used for commercial purposes by these performers im thinkin i need to have a release form all third parties involved....

does this all make sense??

Basiclaly i dont want to get sued by a high profle busines man caught on tape messing with a stripper when she goes to show her demo to a potential client...

any ideas on the best way to do this??? ive never really worried about it, but its come to apoint where demand is forcing em to consider this option. (plus its more $$ in my pocket as this material requires re-editing.... so it is worth the research)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't know the law or if this would work, but it just an idea. Most likely contacting all the people in the video (besides the performers) will be a real hassle and you most likely will not get permission. However, couldn't you blur out their face and still use the footage? Don't know how this affects the law? Anyone?
Old December 24th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

incognito wont work with this unfortunately, as its a performance presentation which pulled people out of the crowd.

All subjects are contactable <they all work for the same marketting company> however the performer wants to use the footage as a demo for future prospects, due to the profit making purpose, i think a release is necessary.. im not sure thou..

ive never relaly needed this as most of my work is licensed (audio) for"private" not commercial use...
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

doesnt anyne here have one of thee??

considering the level of some users here, i would have thought someone would have one laying about....

oh well, back to the drawing board :(
Old December 27th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Peter, in the latest edition of videomaker magazine they printed a full page release form for copying. I was planning on scanning it in to my computer for later use and would be happy to post it on our webspace for you to use if you so please. I'll post a link here probably sometime Monday night when I get back to my own computer. Hope this helps!
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

that would be great, could yuou email it thou?? i dont have any available webspace at the moment for upload, bu ti think chris might..

could u pls email it to djpadre@hotmail.com

thanks again!
P
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter, I'll post it on our webspace so others can benefit from this nice, lil' freebie. Check this thread around monday nite.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #8
Trustee

Peter, you're going to have to find out from an Australian lawyer (assuming you're doing this in Australia). The laws in the US are most likely very different in this area. In fact, it varies from state to state.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

yeah i thought as much, but ii jsut need a basic release at this time, ive seen afew a while back, and theyre very rudimaenatary, so anything would suffice.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

release form

Here's the release form that was published in the January issue of "Videomaker" magazine. It should cover most of your bases, but it's prob best to seek legal advice before pursuing any venture that may lead to lawsuits! Anyways, here it is.

http://www.par-t-com.net/release_form.jpg < release form, 782 KB (for quality)
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #11
Trustee

"yeah i thought as much, but ii jsut need a basic release at this time, ive seen afew a while back, and theyre very rudimaenatary, so anything would suffice."

Sorry, I gotta warn you (my duty): not anything will suffice. You could get a release tailored to US law that does absolutely nothing to protect you in Australia. If you're in a commercial venture and you have a legal question you have to find out from a lawyer licensed in the country you're in. And I promise you no one who has posted here knows the right answer to your question.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

thans for teh response Pete,
I totally understand that, i jsut wanted to draw up a release for my own business and get it checked over by my lawyer...

thanks for the lnk devin!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business