Casting Calls...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Casting Calls...?

I'm putting together a short film. My first actually.

In sending out a casting call, I kept my character descriptions vague and general (with the intention of getting a wider response). Is this the norm or should i be more descriptive?

Whaddaya reckon?

Cheers.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Trustee

You don't have to go into deep character descriptions, but you should definitely suggest some important items:

- Character name and quick description with essentials only
- Age range, if important
- Race/Ethnicity if important (don't hinder yourself too much on this - a role written one way can easily be played in another way)

And, of course, give a very brief blurb on the production, perhaps a rating level so people know what they're getting into (i.e., PG, R, X, etc.), and if there is pay, if it's union or not, etc. Also, mention if you only want local actors, because otherwise you will get neighboring city folks showing up.

And while you want to give them the opportunity to snail mail you their stuff, please do make sure you give your email address. You will get tons more responses that way (some bad but mostly for the better).

Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin

I'm going to guess that you don't want to be inundated with thousands of well intentioned but, shall we say, unsuitable people clogging up your email/mobile phone.

My inclination would be to be as specific as you can in the first instance and see what the response is. If it ain't good then widen the net.

I also guess this is a low/no budget production (forgive me if I'm wrong) so you won't be offering much more than lunch, expenses and a VHS copy of the film.

My advice would be to put a precis of the story either in the casting call or (better?) via a link to a web page (I think people get annoyed at three screens worth of detail on the boards). That way you know that most responses will be from people who are going to be interested in the story/genre. Having said that, many will just be looking for showreel material, so be prepared!

Where are you putting the casting call out to and what part of the world are you from? My (wild) guess is the UK. If so, tell me more and I may be able to put some keen and talented amateurs and semi-pros up.

Cheers . . . Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.

Imran
The rating level thingy makes a lot of sense. Never crossed my mind. But my title is pretty obvious and audience-indicative. hah.

Ian.
Yupz. This is a low budget. Will invest more in my next one once i got this one pinned down. It's gotten bigger then what i started with though. Your points are very valid and will be considered.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, i'm in asia. i do have a part for a british accent though. haha.
I've got quite a bit of production info, short synopsis posted online, along with the call. My producer will run through it before i shoot it out officially.

Cheers.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Well, I'm a professional voiceover by trade so if you can't nail the right accent over there I'd be happy to do some dialogue replacement from here! Actually, I'm off to Japan to present a video soon and I've recently been in KL so you never know! . . .

It may be worth your while looking at UKScreen (www.ukscreen.com) and possibly posting your casting call there or browsing the members lists. I believe that there are a number of international performers there. Worth a glance. Also www.shootingpeople.org although I think that's mainly UK and US.

Best of luck with the whole thing, Kevin. And if you need that accent . . .

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

i meant to add that last year I played a deranged freakshow enterpreneur in a low budget 16mm b&w movie about the 'original' Siamese Twins.

It was called Duet For A Lifetime (hmmm) and the reason I mentioned it is that it apparently won some kind of indie film award in SE Asia at the end of last year.

I'm keen to find out just what the award was as I have completely lost track of the director. I know it's a wild stab in the dark but if you have any ideas as to the indie movie awards in the region, I'd love to get the details. It's purely for selfish reasons - looks good on the web site!

Cheers . . . Ian . . .
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #7
Major Player

That's impressive.
I did have a peep at your site. Good stuff.

I am not 100% familiar with the se asia fests but if i'm correct...

The Bangkok film fest is notable and growing in popularity... (prob 1st on the list)
http://www.bangkokfilm.org/

The Pusan film fest in Korea is another one of note...
(prob 2nd)
http://www.piff.org/

There is also the Singapore film fest...
not doing as well i heard...
http://www.filmfest.org.sg/

Best of luck.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:54 PM   #8
Contributor

I would post as much specific information as you can about each character you envision. In my experience, even the professional talent agencies send out a huge variety of people. One time I had a call for males between the ages of 30 and 45, and they sent me people from 18 to 70.
I think it also helps if you specify the type of character you want, moreso than a physical description...for example, if I see a description that says the character is a grizzled day laborer, down and out and looking for work...that is more meaningful than a physical description, in my opinon only.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Bill.
We've officially opened the call and the replies have been coming in already. Positive start.

For those that may be curious or even in my neck of the woods, the casting call and production info is available here: www.noodlem.com

Cheers.
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle

That looks spot on - very nicely put together, informative and engaging. Looks like a great theme you have there as well. Very best of luck with it.
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Haha - Kevin, now I see what you mean by the title being pretty indicative of the 'rating' level.

Sounds like a fun project; can't wait to see it done.
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for your support Imran. It should be fun indeed. The response to the casting call has been immense. It's hitting 80 and counting.
Just had our first ones tonight.

The task ahead seems daunting and a lot of hard work. Phew.

I am keeping my fingers crossed i find a gem of a cast. Critical.

Darn. what did i get myself into.

Haha.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:05 AM   #13
Trustee

A big recommendation: don't be afraid to hold out for just the right cast, unless you are being pressured by some outside schedule. If you are on your own time, be patient. The wrong cast will ruin your film, but the right cast can make an ok film great.
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM   #14
Major Player

wow. how time flies. Down to my final day of filming this weekend. film's definitely taking it's shape.... what a ride it's been so far...
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business