How do you generate income? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you generate income?

While some focus on weddings and others focus on corporate stuff, what do you do in order to make your camera pay for itself?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Trustee

It depends on your camera. It dictates your jobs. For example, shoot a couple of $2K weddings and your Sony PD-170 is paid for. Shoot a couple of $50K commercials with the F900 and it's paid for. However, it won't make sense to shoot weddings with an F900.

Last edited by Warren Kawamoto; May 2nd, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #3
New Boot

Your camera doesn't really dictate your jobs. Don't let your kit hold you back, if your up to higher budget work then take it and hire the kit in.
Tony Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Any way I can. Though I have found that filming cheesy sequences for magicians for their web site against a green screen makes me more money than a feature length documentary... Sad, really.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV to TCB.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Trustee

The price of my cameras is one of my lower costs of doing business. A $5k camera is nothing compared to rent, utilities, insurance and a $100k per year payroll.

We shoot corporate video - training, sales, promotional. We design web sites and develop web applications. We have several other smaller services, but they pretty much all relate to corporate promotion.

So instead of looking at that cool camera you bought and trying to figure out how to pay for it, look at what skills and talents you have and how you can best capitalize on them. At that point, it doesn't matter if it's a camera, a drill press or a hammer. They're simply tools to do a job.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Legal work keeps me afloat during lean times. Boring? Most of the time absolutely, but the boring stuff can lead to interesting projects that actually involve creativity :).

Of course I'd rather be working on material with more positive energy (and seen by more than a jury of 12) and often do, but it's a nice niche' that pays well and is recession-proof.

http://www.treehousemedia.net
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I have about 3 major clients that make up the bulk of my work: a church, another local NFP, and a scientific media company. I could live off that, but I keep trying to get more work so I can pay of my mortgage early and stock up on, oh, I dunno, gold bars and Whatchamacallits.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business