What's in a name Pt II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Wrangler

What's in a name Pt II

I'm making this a seperate thread than the other, since I want to focus on one thing with this one, while the previous thread delt with the generalities of creating a name.

I've decided to switch to using my name for my company. The only choice now is:

Dylan Couper Productions

or

Couper Productions

I'd appreciate feedback into one or the other.
Thanks!

Note: I've decided to just use Production instead of Video Productions, since I think if it is coming up in conversation, Video will be assumed.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

"Productions" leaves you the ability to do theatrical, film, musical, dramatic, etc.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I like Dylan Couper Productions.

3 word names generally have a nice full ring when speaking it.

Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Production.

Yep, works for me!

Don B.
(if you decide NOT to use it, can I? I know there would be a tiny problem as I'm not Dylan Couper BUT it has a certain sound...let me know ;-O)
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

I like Dylan Couper Productions, it has a nice ring and it's memorable. Plus, you can still use Couper Productions.

It's inevitable, of course, Mr. Couper, that you will end up being known as DCP - so I'd try and take care of that too.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Gee, that sounds very self-serving doesn't it?

:) only joking...

the nice thing about using your name in the prodco name is that you don't have to worry about there being other companies out there with the same name.

Just see which one rolls off your tongue best when you say it and if it comes across clear--- that and how it might work into a logo.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

Don, we could trade!
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dylan,
I studied the trade offer and discussed it with my "cabinet" (wife) and have decided to, unfortunately decline, at this time, as she insisted that if we were to trade then YOU would have to have all of my assests including her. Now don't get me wrong, she's a great cabinet memeber and an even better wife BUT frankly after 35 years I have become somewhat adjusted to her hanging around and yes, her very steady,very large paycheck PLUS we are taking another cruise in May and, damnit man, I won't give that up, you can push RCA plugs under my nails I won't break...(however after we return, perhaps we could resume talks) :-)
Thank you for your patience and assistance in this matter,
Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Dylan Couper Productions or Couper Productions? They are both good. But why do you want to use your name? To build "a name?" If that's the case go with Dylan Couper Productions.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Woodyfang

Why not choose something weird and or unusual? Like Peninsula Productions? or Merry Minstrels? Or The Edit Shack? or Dragon Discs? or Robo-Magic?

Find an old sixties product/company, use the name

surely using your own name is a bit of a cop out - unless you really need to make sure people spell it properly on the cheque!

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:36 AM   #10
Air China Pilot

Cop out?

Hey man, I would totally remember Hagop Matossian Productions.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:46 AM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Hagop Matossian :

surely using your own name is a bit of a cop out - unless you really need to make sure people spell it properly on the cheque! -->>>

My company is currently called Pyroglyph Films. The name change is a marketing choice based on many decisions. Sure it isn't as original, but if it increases my word of mouth business by 50%, I don't care.

As for as using your name as a cop out, ask the major automobile manufacturers what they think.
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #12
Machinist Mate

When I started my dj business (a looong time ago!) I went through the fanciful names, even had cards printed, signs made, etc. But it came down to people saying "who DJed your event?" "Oh, Mike Butler did, I forget the name of his company but maybe you can call his house..." So it's been "Music by DJ Michael Butler" ever since; even have a logo that says exactly that. Although I do fall back on "Cat Scratch Studios" when I need a little anonymity. And I suspect that anonymity is not what you are looking for at this juncture.
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Wrangler

Mike, exactly my thoughts as well.
I'm currently in the process of changing the name to Dylan Couper Productions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business