Your Thoughts about the subject? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 1st, 2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Your Thoughts about the subject?

I wasn't quite sure where to post this at so If one of the Modderators reads it and feel it would fit better somewhere else please move it.

-------------------------------------

• The Problems With "Independant Producions"

The main goal of an independent film maker is simple, it's to make films. Most are working with a zero or ultra low budget or scourging to find someone to finance a project, and that makes it extremely hard for these people to make their films.

Another big problem in the beginner, low budgeted or Indie filmmakers world is that most want to run their own production or film company, for example: Joe Bob is the founder, president, vice president and everything else of Joe Bob Productions, Joe Bob Films, Joe Bob entertainment, or even (insert ultra cool name here) FILMS! I'm not saying it's a bad idea to want to be in charge of your own films and ideas because I, too am guilty of that, and I’m not saying there isn't successful independent production companies but how far can "Joe Bob Films" get when the only person who works for Joe Bob on a regular basis IS Joe.

Even if "Joe Bob Films" makes a movie. Something really good. Something Joe's parents could be proud of. Something Joe’s entire crew he managed to bring together for the shooting of the film thinks is worthy of national distribution! How does Joe go about promoting his film? For the Indie film maker it is a long tough road getting recognition for a film. If you approach a distributor and say "hey I'm Joe.....I'm from Joe Bob's Films" they most likely wouldn't give you the time of day because in their eyes, what’s different between you and everyone else with a production company they never heard of.

These are some of the problems with Indie film production as I see them. The good thing about being an independent film maker is that when we run into problems we do our best to come up with the solution, after all, if we couldn't problem solve we would never get any films made.

---------------------------

That is part 1 of something i am working on. i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the mater or other big problems that indi filmmakers and producers have to deal with. on top of that, what are some of your ideas on how to solve these problems?

thanks.
Kristopher Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Kristopher,
There are many good books on this subject that portray the challenges that "independent filmmakers" face and suggest potential solutions to them.

Please excuse me if I missed it, but what is your question or point? Are you looking for guidance resources?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business