Making $$ with video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Making $$ with video

I am not sure where to ask this, if this is the wrong place forgive me.

Besides weddings, what are some ways you can make money with video in rural areas.
I imagine in large cities there are many ways, but I live in rural Pa and in the summer run around like a chicken with his head cut off doing photography and some wedding video.

With all the videos online now days, cant help but wonder if there are not ways to market to small businesses or other clients to make some winter money.

Any books / videos that cover this area?
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Yeah I'd say move if you want this profession- video jobs in rural areas are pretty tough to make a living at.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Yeah I'd say move if you want this profession- video jobs in rural areas are pretty tough to make a living at.

Noah

I make a good living with photography and cost of living is down, I would however love to make a little extra in the winter months when photography is very slow. Its not like I will go out of business if I do nothing, but would be great to pick up a little extra cash doing something I love.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I do what few people venture out to do . . . I produce, and self-finance, my own productions, generally documentaries. I have been doing this for well over 20 years.

I have a 6 figure income, and come and go as I please. I come up with the concept, research and write the script, shoot it, and edit it, and yes even distribute, althought I have about 150 distributors that do the bulk of distribution.

I love taking afternoon naps when I feel like it. Hey, I have the life of Riley and make good money doing it. I will never retire because I love what I am doing.

All it takes is believing in yourself, and going out on a limb and taking a risk, with both your time and money.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

I live in a very rural area (Western Minnesota.) I would guesstimate that the population of my "trade area" (within 50 mile radius) is about 100,000. There are two ways I have stayed in business:

1. Diversify - and
2. Lowering my expectations.

"Diversify" is easy enough to explain - we provide services that compliment our video services, such as web development, graphic design and software development.

"Lowing my expectations" means that I do a lot of really boring videos. A lot of training and safety videos. Not a lot of creativity involved. Occasionally I get to work on a project that lets me spread my wings, but most of the time it's just tedious stuff.

So not only can we shoot your training video, we can create a complete online interactive video course for your employees which you can use to track who's watching and if they're "getting it".

Also when you provide this service in a rural area, there's not a lot of competition. Most of the time instead of competing with another service provider, you're competing with the fact that your potential clients aren't even considering video - because they've never had the option.

While I don't have a six figure income (yet) I do employ three other people. So it's nice to be able to provide jobs.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Denny are you able to get into commercials & advertising?? I would guess out there ads can be bought for fairly low, although I'm not sure where the local stations broadcast out of (State College, Erie??). Or is there a cable outlet that sells local ads? You could goto local car dealerships or resturants and offer to shoot & place ads for them on programming like Monday Night Football or shows on FX like The Closer or something.

Chris made a good point, try getting into web design if you can. Businesses will slowly want to get one if they haven't already. Brian just curious, what kind of documentaries do you produce & how are they sold? I was selling a 16mm Arri film camera on ebay a few years ago, & a potential buyer was in touch with me & we spoke on the phone. He was telling me he did something similar, but more ran the dvd distribution company. I think he sold movies like yours to retail chains or something. I was surprised there was such a market for that. Can you inform us of anything further?

Thanks,
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's just a short list of other things you can do in video:

Promotional Videos
Video for Television
Special Events
Commercials
Corporate Videos
Documentaries
Videos for Podcasts for the Internet
Video Brochures
Training Videos
Sales Videos
Real Estate Videos
Product Demonstration Videos
Music Videos
Recruitment Videos
ENG (think of it as iReporting)
B-Roll
Stock Video
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Add to that excellent list: Biographies, school events, memorial videos and stock footage.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business