license for music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 7th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Tourist

linense for music

I am producing multimedia presentation on cd and my client wants to include a few songs from cds he purchased. How and where can I get permission/licence to use that music. Is there any "agency" that sells the rights for particular songs??? Any links...please.
Marius Boruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #2
Trustee

No, there's not, I'm afraid. You must contact the record label directly to discuss licensing. There's no one link, but if you know the record label you can pretty easily find the place to contact for licensing.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #3
Tourist

license for 29 second spot

Thanks for your response to my question regarding license for music used in multimedia presentation.
I was wondering if I still have to ask for permission if I use just small fragment of music - lets say 29 seconds.
I've hear that it is legal. Am I right?

Mario
Marius Boruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Trustee

29 seconds is definitely infringing. Pretty much any direct copying is too much. Unless you fall under fair use, which this probably does not (though to be certain you always need to get a professional legal opinion) you can't use other peoples' music without permisison.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business