Prices/rates for editing and CDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Contributor

Prices/rates for editing and CDs

I've had some requests for quotes on two things:

1) Straight editing of someone else's footage into a final project, and...

2) Creating an interactive CD-ROM with video clips as a marketing/training tool.

I do editing all the time, but have never done it alone with someone else's footage - I normally acquire, edit, and finish the entire project for corporate training/sales productions. What would a reasonable rate be for assembling the clips and making them into a finished production. I normally charge $100-150 per hour for post-production work, but this is pretty straight forward stuff they need - minimal graphics and some background music with voiceovers. At $100-150, I do a lot of motion graphics, etc... I'm in the Chicago area. I don't want to gouge them, but I also don't want to get stuck making too little for these projects. To make matters worse, the guy who would hire me is a real stickler and nit-picker. It's never good enough the first time for him. On the good side, he does pay quickly!

As for the interactive CD-ROM, I have the tools required to do it, but have never made one commercially. Is there a "going rate" for something like this? It will be 10 or so video clips with graphics, music, and narration linked via menus so the user can decide what they want to watch.

THANKS for any advice on these two areas.

Stuart
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Stuart

I do this all the time for my father ( business is business, right? )
If he does a wedding shoot and lets say he takes 1200 for it, I figure that he spent about 35% - 40 % of total hours with the couple doing the shoot, arranging for the whole gig in the first place, and miscallenous. With this in mind, I charge him 60%-65% of the total video cost.
Hope this will give you a better idea.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business