Production Company Name at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 25th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Production Company Name

If I have a name I'd like to use as the production company of my films (ex Lion Gate, A Band Apart ect - not those, they are just examples) How would I go about becomming the owner of that name? How much $, ect. I really like the name I'm usign right now, and doubt very much that anyone else has used it.

Thank you,
Bryan
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #2
Wrangler

One thing you might choose to do immediately is register the internet domain name. (One cheap, reliable registrar is Hostway.) This reserves the domain name so that only you can use it, and can serve as an example of use of the name in interstate commerce. It also sets a definitive latest date on when you began using the name. Following that, search the US PTO for prior registrations to ensure you won't be infringing on anyone else's mark.

Here's another thread of identical title and topic, wherein much more is said on the subject.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #3
Trustee

A federal trademark registration would be the best way to obtain protection. Of course having the domain name is great too. Federal trademarks are not terribly difficult or expensive to obtain. It's not quite as easy as registering a copyright, but nowhere near as difficult as getting a patent.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business