What area of law... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:18 AM   #1
Major Player

What area of law...

I need to get some professional advice regarding releases and contracts. Would I be correct in assuming that an attorney specializing in contracts would also be knowledgeable with regard to various types of releases necessary for the work we do? If not, what area of expertise would be more appropriate?

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Depending on your exact needs, someone who focusses on Intellectual Property Law, and more specifically Entertainment Law should be able to help you.

There is a great series of books on entertainment law and contracts written by Michael Weise (sp?) that might help you.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the prompt response.
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Someone who handles a lot of entertainment law and IP law would definitely be knowledgable. Someone who handles contracts but not a lot of IP would be competent but might not be quite as good. However, they also might charge much less and very well may do a fine job for you. I think a good polcy is to find the best lawyer you can trust - chances are he can handle most of the work you give him, and if he's honest, will refer you away if he can't. Of course finding someone trustworthy is easier said than done. :)
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business