a ENG Demo Reel. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

a ENG Demo Reel.

Hey,
I recelty spoke with a Producer at a local news station, and he told me to send hom some of my work. I want to create a 5 minute demo reel. I have some footage, of 2 "news worthy" packages I can use about 1:40 each.
I never made a reel before, should I put them on my reel as is? Or put the footage together and have music running in the background over the footage? I currently have 2 "packages" of news type spots and some footage of a balloon fest I did up this past summer. Do I want to show the producer actual footage of the news worthy segments or the video with music in the background?

I also have in another post about my bank robbery footage. I got footage of a bank robbery, I called a local station, I met w/ their satellite truck, they took my footage and aired it. (I used a tripod and everything I got alot of B-roll). When the footage was aired, I had my video camera and recorded it off the TV, Can I include that? I think that would be great because my footage was used in an actual broadcast, and the station who aired it is where I am sending my demo reel to.

Maybe I can post my reel before I send it and you can critique it?

Lemme know

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Post away!
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #3
Major Player

I do not have much experience with ENG, beyond sitting in on a shooting and editing course, but my background is in print journalism...

I would say that the Producer is interested in seeing your finished segments and other footage you have shot -- without any music. Most news editors I have known don't want anything fancy -- they want to see your previous work as straight as they would if you worked for them. Added music or other non-essential items only distracts from what you are trying to show them -- which is your abilty to shoot/edit a news story.

I think it is an interesting idea to include the actual broadcast video of your footage, but only as an addendum to the actual footage -- put clips from the original footage in the demo, followed by the segment as aired.

And definitely post the footage, too.
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business