Music licencing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:45 PM   #16
New Boot

Does anyone have a quick answer on a need to license music recorded by an on-camera mic? I realize if I overdub any copyrighted music it needs to be fully licensed, but i'm not clear on if my camera mic picks up copyrighted music the DJ is playing at a reception if I need to license that as well, or is there a legal way around that?

Thanks for any insite.

Bryan
Bryan Spinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #17
Major Player

I think if you ask 10 lawyers you could get 20 different opinions. After watching all the debates on several forums over the last couple of months, the practical answer (for me) is that I am going to not worry about it if it is incidental to the video. Room background while interviewing or even shooting dancers is just not something any lawyer is ever gonna waste time on, unless they are prsecuting the DJ and need evidence. If the whole video is of dance after dance, then the music is NOT incidental and needs to be cleared.

I have the same problem when shooting street fairs and music festivals. The grey area is a lot blacker (to me) when the band on-stage is the focus of the visual. I have not decided on my course of action yet.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #18

I don't think this CAN be generally answered.

What was the intent of the videographer?
Was he focused on the music when he/she edited?
Is the music an integral part of the video?

I know this came up with Muzak somewhere once, but it was settled or dropped before going all the way. A corporate training product had Muzak from the company's office system in it.

I'm not a lawyer, but personally, I think it would challenging for any copyright holder to demonstrate damages if it was ancillary music that is not focused upon, not edited to, and not captured in a clean, deliberate manner ie; from a mixer board to cam vs cam mic.

But whadda I know.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #19
Major Player

I love these threads. I really do. You can learn so much from the people who have gone before. Quite often the lessons they learned were learned the hard way and that makes them all the more valuable. Nothing like first hand experience.

When it comes to music for videos I like to tell people if they can't find free music that suits them they should just do it themselves. With Acid, ound Forge and program like it and the easy availability of low cost keyboards you can make your own music. Sure, it won't be trivial but you'll have fun and learn something while you're doing it. And you'll never have to worry about those fuzzy edges of the copyright law. It might not be as good as your favorite artist but you'll certainly be able to sleep at night as Douglas says.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #20
Major Player

'It's actually a question I've ALWAYS wondered about and could never really get a straight answer. To respond to your claim that now I am worried NOW about getting caught that couldn't be further from the truth. I have always been aware that I needed a clear answer but was unable to get one.'

Google's been poised to help you for years. Five minutes work.
Old December 20th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Alvarez :The notion that "I am just small potatoes... no one is going to sue me for syncing their music to a wedding video/ kids soccer game/ Xtreme sport video ..." is probably statisticaly accurate, but why stand in a thunderstorm holding a lightning rod?
And, not to continue beating this dead horse, but I _routinely_ sue de minimus infringers on behalf of my client. There are all sorts of sound business reasons for doing so, e.g. preserving the integrity of the IP, sending a message to potential infringers, etc. I always tell my clients, "IP infringement suits are NOT profit centers -- if the value of the IP exceeds the cost of the litigation, then it is worth suing."
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #22
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Spinelli : Does anyone have a quick answer on a need to license music recorded by an on-camera mic? I realize if I overdub any copyrighted music it needs to be fully licensed, but i'm not clear on if my camera mic picks up copyrighted music the DJ is playing at a reception if I need to license that as well, or is there a legal way around that?

Thanks for any insite.

Bryan -->>>
Do a search on my name and incidental reproduction. The law is NOT clear but the cases suggest the following:

Use parts of a work for a news or non-commercial purpose, it _may_ be fair use.

Use an entire work for a non-news or commercial purpose, it will _not_ be fair use.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business