Getting a sync lisence from big studios (Sony, etc) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 15th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Getting a sync lisence from big studios (Sony, etc)

There's a song by a big band I want as background music for a video of mine - nt for profit, just something i put together. But I also want to share it with people who were involved in the event/shoot

The lisence I'd probably be seeking is a sync lisence, but I can't find any information on how to obtain such a lisence from Sony. I suppose it's something I'd have to call Sony about, run through 50 people until I find out what I need to know...

But there are so many knowledgeable folk here :)

Has anyone dealt with Sony/big labels before? And how much (ballpark) does a track from a big name band usually run to keep things legal?

Band in question is Audioslave. I gave full credit to the band of course, runs at half CD quality, and even encouraged folk to buy the CD. But I realize this is not good enough.
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #2
Tourist

Hi Andrew -

I've been looking into copyright issues as well, which has led me to this site. I'm far from being an expert, but what I've been able to ascertain is that - certainly if its not for commercial use - you hopefully won't need to go direct to Sony.

Here in the UK, you can get a Private Function Video Licence from here. They basically represent something like 98% (ie to all intent and purpose "all") of recorded music.

The cost is £40.95 for up to 5 copies.

You also need a mechanical licence, ie the right to physically copy the song from here. The cost is £17.63 for up to 100 copies, and up to 30 mins of music.

I'd hope that there was something similar in Canada - hopefully someone else will know for sure?

Hope this helps.

Iain
Iain MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

I sent an email out to BMI, which seems to offer the same sort of service in North America. They have hundreds of artists on there, so hopefully I can get something out of it.

My only issue is if the video somehow gets around the internet beyond my own audience... Does my lisence still cover the one initial recording/rendering of the video, or each individual person that sees it? Or would I be in deep doo-doo?...
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #4
New Boot

http://www.sonymusic.com/licensing/contact/

Ran across this just now.

Bryan Adamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #5
Tourist

Andrew,

As far as I know it doesn't cover the internet, or dvd. But that seems to be because they're being too slow to adapt.

In my case all i want to do is slideshows of still photos with music, but on DVD. I doubt they really go after videographers who don't even get licence, so I figure if i acquire the closest possible licences that are available, i'd have to be pretty damned unlucky for anything to happen. To me, for the sake of the argument, video=video + dvd (even tho in the letter of the law it isn't)

Regarding the internet - not so sure. if its just for you and you're immediate circle of family friends, how likely would it be to get on the net? and even then presumably not in a commercial sense, but maybe someone's personal site?

i'd guess that if you got the licences, and it somehow turned up on the net, in such a low key production, they really should have better things to do than come after you - especially if you've gone to the trouble of getting licence/s that many others perhaps wouldn't even bother getting.

Iain
Iain MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Sync License would be Sony ATV http://www.sonyatv.com/frontdoor/ind...glish/1/0.html. You need this form http://www.sonyatv.com/media/assets/...on_Request.pdf You have to stay on top of it with Sony. I have been working a license and am now working with a 3rd person at S/ATV as mine keeps getting lost (now on month 3).

Is Sony also the publisher of the album? You have to contact the album publisher for the master license.

Fun, huh? Guess why I use Sonic Fire Pro for everything that is not marching band/drum corps performances... :) Acid Loops is the other one along with FreePlayMusic.com in the resource arsenal.

Wish these guys would figure out that if they made it easier (lots), they would get more people doing the right thing.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business