DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Film Permits: Your Experiences? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/37634-film-permits-your-experiences.html)

Rick Bravo January 14th, 2005 10:48 AM

I'm even more confused now!

I just got off the phone with Jennifer and she was very charming. I didn't get any of the horror stories that I was expecting, in fact, she is sending me out a complete package outlining the procedures for shooting in her area.

I'll advise if there is anything that really jumps out in the "you gotta be sh*tting me" department!

RB

Rob Yannetta January 14th, 2005 12:00 PM

Re: I'm even more confused now!

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : she is sending me out a complete package outlining the procedures for shooting in her area.-->>>

I'd like to see that in a PDF.

Pete Bauer January 15th, 2005 06:59 AM

Rick,

Will look forward to your report.

All,

FWIW, I did some searches on the web looking at the FL Film Commission web site and FL state statutes. The impression I went away with was that FL is actively encouraging filmmaking. Couldn't find any state laws that restrict filming in any way; it doesn't appear in the sections on regulated businesses, as talent agencies do. Regulation seems to largely be left to the local level. Here are some links:

State Code on filmmaker incentives (statutes 288.125 – 1258), which don't apply if you don't want state reimbursement for your production:

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...288/ch0288.htm

As written by the FL Film Commission, permitting and the $1M insurance is not a general requirement, but in regard to parking your crew, equipment, and vehicles on state properties for your production:

Insurance -- http://www.filminflorida.com/prl/per...equiremnts.asp

PDF of the Permit for use of state property in filming: http://www.filminflorida.com/pdf/prod-perm-app.pdf

Sea Turtle nesting issues, which are actually within the purview of the Department of Environmental Protection and applies to everyone, not just oppressed filmmakers (this may be where the "no shooting beaches at night" issue arose. Seems quite reasonable to me...who wants to go around trampling baby sea turtles, after all?) -- http://www.filminflorida.com/prl/permits/dept.asp

Here's an example of local permitting:

Canaveral Permit -- http://www.nbbd.com/godo/cns/permits/

So the internet face of FL film looks quite benign. Everything I could find after snooping around the internet for over an hour involved no more than protecting public property to ensure fair and equitable use for everyone. Rick, if you find the real info package laced with zingers, please do let us know!

Bob Costa January 15th, 2005 10:29 AM

I spent a bunch of time reseaching the Florida issue too, since I live here. The people at state were very nice, but referred me to local counties for specific rules and regs. Sarasota County was a bit evasive in giving me an answer to what constitutes a "production" (therfore requiring a permit). She did say that she has never heard of a single person with a camera even being challenged. Beyond that, no charge for the permit, it sounds like they have it for only two reasons: 1) Insurance 2) Job Insurance -so they can prove what a good job their film commission is doing, this insuring their jobs.

FWIW, Florida is sending me a Production Guide. There are some cool subsidies like sales tax exemptions available, not sure what else yet. And Sarasota is trying to establish an indie film festival comparable to Sundance, so filmmakers may have a fair amount of support here as well.

Rick Bravo January 15th, 2005 11:56 AM

One of the reasons I was so surprised by previous posts was that I served on the Miami-Dade Film Commission Advisory Board for about 4 1/2 years and never came across any issues like the ones cited.

In speaking with Jennifer, she stated that they don't even charge for permits. Charges are assessed only if operations for a certain location have to be extended past the norm or for things like off-duty police, etc.

Florida has always been very production friendly as it is a HUGE money maker for the state. It is hard not to drive down Ocean Drive in South Beach on any given day and NOT pass by at least a couple of productions whether they are film or still shoots.

RB

Rob Yannetta January 17th, 2005 09:58 AM

I find the following hilarious:

http://www.filminflorida.com/wh/ws.asp

What's Shooting for the Week of January 17, 2005
Films:
Currently None in Production

Imran Zaidi January 17th, 2005 01:50 PM

Which actually isn't true, because there are a few. Just goes to show how unorganized things can be at the gov't level.

Pete Bauer January 17th, 2005 02:25 PM

Imran,
Are the films you know about getting assistance from the FL Office of Film & Entertainment? Is so, then, yup, there's a small "sin of omission;" if not, then they don't list them because they only list productions that they are assisting with.

Rob,
Ok, despite trying to compensate for my honestly just plain being in a lousy mood today, I didn't detect any humor on that web page...what am I missing?

Bob Costa January 17th, 2005 05:38 PM

Currently None in Production

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :)

Imran Zaidi January 17th, 2005 05:45 PM

Greenroomorlando.com alone lists a couple, and those are just for the central florida area. One comes to mind rightaway, and that's the film based on the Celestine Prophecy. There are a couple of others that I know are in production through various gossip circles around town. Again, this is just Central Florida, and I'm sure there's more up in South Florida, and here and there.

You'll find that the filminorlando.com site is OFTEN not updated. I remember at one time when Punisher (with John Travolta) was filming, none currently in production showed up. At some point later it was updated. And when Monster (with Charlize Theron) was shooting just around the corner from me, they were behind again.

There's no definitive place you can go to quickly see what's up in Florida, and there never has been. I've found that both frustrating and, quite frankly, pathetic, but it's just the nature of good ol' Florida. Though I'm sure plenty of other states have the same problem.

Rick Bravo January 19th, 2005 06:06 PM

One SMALL detail...

Guys, laugh all you want, but...no matter how you look at it, most of these projects that you find on the GOV sites, whether TV or Feature Films are going to be union...IATSE to be exact.

For those of you who don't know, IATSE is the acronym for International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. They pretty much cover everything from grips to projectionists in the industry.

Although Florida is a right-to-work state, the IA has gotten alot tougher on hiring practices.

My Point: If you aren't union...what the hell does it matter? You're not in the running for the job anyway! That's just the way things are.

There are ALWAYS more gigs happening than are posted on GOV sites. There are alot of European, Canadian (not so many now that the Canadian $ is so weak), Japanese shoots, etc. that you don't hear about.

As an aside, I still haven't received my package from Jennifer. I'll let you know if anything is BLATANTLY BAD!

Reagards to all.

RB

Rob Yannetta January 20th, 2005 09:24 AM

I've ordered a packet from Jennifer a week and a half ago and I live just a few miles from her office. I still haven't received it. <grin>

Rob Yannetta January 20th, 2005 11:01 PM

Scratch that... It just came in.

It's just a directory listing of all the pretty places in central Florida with a few phone numbers of local actors and crew.

All the information about permits, rules, regulations and the like are missing. Sad.

Rick Bravo January 21st, 2005 01:08 PM

Just received my packet!

There is no reference to the illegality of shooting on a beach...day or night!

What it does say about beaches is the following.

A Permit Is Required When:

1. You are producing a feature film, TV special/commercial/pilot/series/industrial video or photography shoot that affects public property, equipment or facilities.

2. Your production is taking place on private property, and involves the use of pyrotechnics, explosives, or other incendiary devices; involves the display of other incendiary devices, firearms or use of gunfire, or involves stunts of any kind.

So, I guess this means that mom and pop with their home camcorder are safe from the long arm of the law afterall.

RB

Pete Bauer January 21st, 2005 04:34 PM

Good to hear, Rick.

In the links I posted earlier to Floridainfilm, there was reference to the beaches but it had to do with protection of sea turtles -- which in my point of view is a good thing. Without going back and re-reading, I recall something to the effect of "discouraged" rather than "illegal."

Not that my search was exhaustive, but I didn't find anything online in the FL State laws about permitting...so I'm curious if the permits mentioned perhaps relate to a) local public land use ordinances and/or b) state or federal laws regulating pyrotechnics rather than filmmakers?

Happy Friday!