Do you rent out your equipment? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you rent out your equipment when you're not using it?

I have a couple XL-1s, Canon 10D Digital SLRs, related accessories, lighting/sound equipment, etc...

I was thinking of making my equipment available for rent when I'm not using it. Does anybody have any experience doing this? Do you have an insurance company or contact you presently use for this purpose?

Any tips? Any horror stories? Things to look out for?

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

It pays to rent out your equipment. 5% of purchase value per day. Well insured (by the customer), only to trusted clients or with a proper deposit (credit card). But you have to provide backup if something breaks down, service the equipment more often than usual... so you may need to invest and perhaps you will lose some sleep thinking of your XL-1s not being at home..
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Eric, try a forum search for gear rental. We've covered the pros and cons several times before and you should find some good reading.
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Dylan.

I've done the search and read some of the past comments. It sounds like most people have rented out their equipment on a casual basis, but I'm not finding anyone who consistently rents their equipment as a side business to their own shooting and has that equipment insured for that purpose.

I'll keep looking.

-Eric

Eric Lian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business