Theater Rental-Insurance Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Theater Rental-Insurance Question

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into renting a theater space to premiere a film. One of the places that I booked (in New Jersey) is asking for some type of insurance. This needs to cover, bodily injure and materials for a total of two million dollars. If anyone knows what type of insurance and where I can get it for that one day event it would be great.

Thanks
Old February 1st, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Alain,

If you have a regular business insurance policy, ask them about "Off site" insurance. If not, then ask your regular insurance agent. (Home, auto, life, whatever) if they offer "Special Event" insurance. If not, then start calling insurance companies, and asking for special event policies.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

make sure how much the theater wants the liability cap for. For instance if the theater only requires $100,000 per person don't let you agent sell you a policy for $500,000. Find out if the theater requests a minimum ie. $250,000 for 200 people, if not then get the most feasible policy.
Dave Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't have any bussiness insurance. The theater owners want total coverage for 2 millions and that sound like a lot!. Is this something that you need to do with all theaters where you want to display a film?
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Alain,

I have produced shows in theatres all over the country. Most of them required a one to two million dollar 'special event' liability policy. Sometimes, you can just ask who the theatre's insurance company is, and call them and say - "I am renting the house on such and such date, I need to buy a rider for two million, what's it going to cost?" Frankly, my exprerience has been all over the charts on costs like this. For a single night, it coud be as little as a coulple of hundred, to a thousand or so, so feel free to shop. The reason for calling the theatres usuall insurer is, they see it as 'extra' income. They are already insuring the theatre for use, here's a chance to bump their income with little extra exposure.

We have resident experts on just about every aspect of filmmaking come to this board, but I've never seen a post from an insurance agent. You are going to have to make some calls.

And yes, its normal for a venue of this type to look for blanket liability coverage when renting to a third party. The ammount is always negotiable.

good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just took your adviced and e-mailed the person in charge of rentals. I asked her about their insurance company. I'll see what happens. I just can't afford more than $300 for that one day.

Thanks
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Alain,
Well at least you know your budget constraints. That will help you decide whether you should shop around, or blow it off.
Let us know what you hear.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business