DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Do you Hate Your Client?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/38708-do-you-hate-your-client.html)

Joshua Starnes February 1st, 2005 01:58 PM

Do you Hate Your Client?!

I've been sub-contracted to provide some 30 sec. PSAs for a website developer for the website client they are trying to get. They're trying to get a budget from so that they can bid on the project, so I said fine (he's a friend of a friend). I turned in my number and now he keeps chipping away and chipping away at it. He wants it to cost the bare bottom it can (regardless of quality) not so that he can bid low, but so that he can keep more for himself out of the bid. We still can't agree to anything on paper. My better business sense says I should get out now and leave him with his problems (and probably an unhappy client) but the reality is, I need the money. But if this job isn't over soon, I WILL KILL HIM WITH MY BARE HANDS!!!!

Rhett Allen February 1st, 2005 02:20 PM

Why don't you inform him that it is HIS client and if HE wants to get the job to make his client happy, he might consider cutting HIS mark-up! Delivering a poor quality product isn't going to win anyone any points.

Let him know what's involved and that YOU are doing him a favor. Because in actuality you could take the bid to them directly and cut him out completely, thus costing the client less.

Yes, sometimes I do hate my client, but then, they aren't my client for long after that.

Ken Tanaka February 1st, 2005 03:25 PM

Long-term business relationships are rarely the genesis of such ill initial feelings. Good business relationships are anchored on trust and mutual respect, qualities that have already evaporated.

Use your "better business sense".

Dan Uneken February 3rd, 2005 04:07 AM

I totally agree with Ken.
When it comes to paying up, he will probably take 6 months to pay, if ever. Fits in the pattern.

Stephen Jackson February 3rd, 2005 01:11 PM

One of the most important lessons that I keep reminding myself of "ALL BUSINESS IS NOT GOOD BUSINESS"

Don't let your need for the business cloud your inner sense and thinking.

If he's cutting you and you win the bid the work may not be profitable and then you worked for nothing and just as far behind financially.

Joe Carney February 4th, 2005 12:00 PM

If he doesn't respect your right to make a profit, then just say

'buh-bye'

Mark Sasahara February 6th, 2005 01:08 PM

Your instincts are correct. It might be worth having a "Come to Jesus" talk and if he still doesn't respect your pricing, move on. Be firm, but polite. The price is the price. If you don't want to pay for my services, that is fine. If you do hire me, that's what it costs, don't nickel and dime me to death.

It sucks having to turn down work, but saying "No" can be very liberating, don't be afraid of it. If you're not feeling good about it, and it sounds that way, say no. You'll both be happy you did.

Dylan Couper February 6th, 2005 01:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Sasahara : Your instincts are correct. It might be worth having a "Come to Jesus" talk and if he still doesn't respect your pricing, move on.
-->>>

What the heck is a "Come to Jesus" talk???

Chris Hurd February 6th, 2005 02:06 PM

You don't know what that is, Dylan? It's a reality check, "this is the way it's going to be," which is delivered in no uncertain terms, in a clear, concise and definitive manner, without padding, fluff or sugar-coating. I've received about as many from our volunteer forum moderators as I've had to give to them.

Michael Bernstein February 6th, 2005 10:48 PM

Dude! What about us secular Jews? A "Come to Moshiach" talk?

Michael

Dylan Couper February 6th, 2005 11:24 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : You don't know what that is, Dylan? It's a reality check, -->>>

Ah, so that's what my parole officer meant when he said I'd better have a Come to Jesus talk, or go back inside....

Hrmph, that could have saved me 12-18 months....

Bryan McCullough February 7th, 2005 03:08 PM

You want one of two things from a client:

1. Money
2. More business (from them directly or from referrals)

Getting both is ideal.

Sounds like you won't get much of either from this one. I'd quote a healthy price, and walk away.

Keith Loh February 7th, 2005 03:16 PM

I have what I call an "F-off quote".