Is anyone here successfully doing video biographies? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 31st, 2005, 12:26 AM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : I went to a sporting event with my still camera and shot all day. Then I gave the event producers a CD of all my photos to use royalty free on their website (only-not distribute). I suggested that they and I could make some extra cash by selling my CD to people who had participated in the event, splitting the profit 50/50. They were excited because this is extra revenue that they wouldn't have seen, and didn't realize was possible. I'm happy because I'm getting a contract to shoot their next couple events, except next time they are going to pre-sell the photo-CD as well.

Now apply the theory to your situation. :) -->>>

Fabulous idea. Creative marketing.
I need to come up with more creative ideas like this.
Also, I am just getting started, and this would be a great way to jump-start a demo reel as well as to practice lots of new stuff.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:27 AM   #32
Major Player

Wow John
Warning heeded.
I hope you get some return for all the effort and hassle you have put in!
What will you say specifically in your contract next time? Do you know yet?
I don't even have a contract. Guess I should get one shouldn't I?
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:59 AM   #33
Major Player

Everyone should have a contract, even for free jobs you do. Mine is pretty simple, covers who, where, when, what, how much, specific responsibilities, copyright transfer upon full payment, CYA stuff regarding equipment, weather, videographer malfunctions. Sometimes broadcast or distribution restictions if uncleared material is used (like in a party situation).
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #34
New Boot

I call my product a "Personal Biography".
Did my first with 93 year old aunt to get something to show and market.
Runs about 25 minutes.
Labour of love for family members, and a joy to do.
Used a one-one-one interview with subject as the centre piece.
Added all sorts of stuff form 8mm to photos, archival stuff, preriod newspaper headlines, music of course.
Approached funeral directors in this community of half a million.
Without exception they discouraged the idea of selling so called tribute video as part of pre-paid funeral package. Too many other expenses in funeral packages,---they say.
Anyway fel kid and ghoulish about that effort.
Made presentations of seniors communities, but no bites so far, thought they were impressed and interested.
Seems the target market is the children and grandchildren of subject of these bios.
Would be interested to hear from anyone who is also trying to grow the personal bio part of their business.
Short exerpt of aunt's personal bio on by website,---the ending if you want to have a look.
Great to hear from anyone who is having success in this area.
Chatted with a fellow from Tennessee a few months ago who was charged 100 thousand for 50 minute production. He started doing them for 6 hundred dollars!
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #35
Major Player

Hi Dan, I looked into the marketing of this about 5 years ago. I did a few brief presentations to local providers with very lukewarm results. Since then, the personal bios have been all pro bono family stuff. Fun to do, but difficult for folks to grasp the costs. It's still fun to explain to people why you are shooting the family home from decades ago near old Westmount. Makes for a good excuse to hit Vincenzo's for a sandwich!

Anyway, the bottom line is that there seems to be a market for personal bios ... but at a limited price point.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #36
New Boot

Seems to be the case.
Folks in this market are more tight-fisted than those in the larger markets.
Having gone through the process of shooting and editing a personal bio,----I have a new appreciation of the time involved.
Also in my case I was working with a lucid woman who was all supportive,---and I kind of knew her story.
It could be very different with a stranger.
There's a lot to get one's head around a lot of research, a lot of faces to recognize,---not to mention the matter of divorce and remarriage.
What I'm saying is for time expended, the return could be paltry.
Kind of like weddings. Which I really have little interest in.
As an alternative to corporate stuff, I would like to grow the personal bios. I still think when dealing with the right client, there could be some persional satisfaction that doesn't come from many of the big money jobs.
May have to move to the bigger markets for this one though.
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #37
Major Player

This may have been mentioned but I find the following services people always will pay for at least in the Northwest. I don't advertise really anywhere, it's all word of mouth.

* Old Media converted to DVD (family vacations, etc) $50 an hour

* High School Sports Scouting Videos (basically family pays you to tape all the kids games and create a recruiting/scouting video they can send to colleges)
$800-$1200 per 15 minute finished video

* Funerals are a hit.. sad.. but a hit.. (They are way easy too)
They supply all the photos and video and I throw it together. I usually only charge $400 for this..

* Weddings (bah.. I actually don't like doing them because the time it takes in post with all the footage from all the cameras..:))
$2745-$9500 for a wedding.

For me.. I wouldn't call myself a success story but I have taught myself everything I know through forums, books and tutorials.. I don't advertise mainly because when I started it was friends and family and I did them for free, because I wasn't sure of my skills or quality of the end product. In fact I remember anytime the subject of video was brought up I offered to do something with it, I just wanted real material to practice with and if they didn't like it, that's ok they didn't pay anything.

Then it took off like wildfire more referrals, more referrals, more referrals and all the videos I made for free became an instant advertisement, since they wanted to show all their friends the video that was made for them.

I just talk to the clients like they are family and I am honest upfront with them if it's something I cannot do or don't know how. I find that in the beginning you sort that out they will keep their business with you and just work around some stuff. I still don't use contracts and I probably should, I just ask for 50% down and if I finish it and they don't pay me, it's ok.. It was just more material to practice with, I suppose if I didn't have a full-time career for the company I work for it would be more nerve racking..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #38
Major Player

9 large wedding coverage...

Just curious: What does a $9k wedding look like in terms of shooters, gear and coverage?

Unless you have a budget like our Governor General does, I might find it hard to sell one of these; but you never know...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #39
Major Player

[QUOTE=Pat Sherman]
>>>* Old Media converted to DVD (family vacations, etc) $50 an hour<<<

What setups do you have to convert and digitize different formats, and what formats do you run into most often?

>>>* High School Sports Scouting Videos (basically family pays you to tape all the kids games and create a recruiting/scouting video they can send to colleges)
$800-$1200 per 15 minute finished video<<<

how many cameras/how much time into it?

>>>* Funerals are a hit.. sad.. but a hit.. (They are way easy too)
They supply all the photos and video and I throw it together. I usually only charge $400 for this..<<<

On average, how many home video clips? Do you ever tape the funerals?
I am finding people very resistant to prices even lower than this. Cheep, cheep, cheep. Just put the old geezer in the ground! No memorials! lol
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business