How much to charge for fishing video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM   #1
New Boot

How much to charge for fishing video?

Ladies and Gents,
I'm fairly new here, and haven't made an introduction yet. I'll leave that for another day.

My question relates to a new project I'm working on, something that I started largely for experience, but also because I think I can make a few bucks.

It's a fishing video, and will probably be filmed with my XL-1 and something else SD as a second cam. It will be edited in Final Cut.

We're finalizing our contract tomorrow, and I need some advice, because the guy I'm working with (on-screen talent and financier) has started act a little funny. It's a long story, I won't get into it.

The real question is, if you had to make a bid on a project that will involve about 50-100 hours of location taping, and then editing to a final dvd of about 2 hours, how much would you say?

Keep in mind, getting to the locations is difficult, and involves climbing up and down steep hills with your equipment, wading in a river, etc.
And then there's the editing, etc.

Next question, how much would your bid be for 25 hours of shooting with one camera with an edit to a 5-10 minute promo tape? (same kind of footage)

If you help me out, I'll be able to negotiate a little more effectively, rather than pull numbers out of my...well you know.

Cheers,
Lawrence

I should mention that I'm the cameraman as well as editor, and the largest crew I will ever have will be one other person. No fancy lights, all shots are either handheld, or tripod.
I really need the advice on the promo tape area, since we have already shot 25 hours of tape, and now I need to edit the promo for sponsors. I've been compensated relatively fairly, but now I'm worried that I'm about to be short-changed.
Lawrence Bochkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:22 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I've changed the title of your thread (to better cover the info you seek) and
moved it to our business forum.

Good luck with your deal!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Lawrence,
I shot fishing shows in Minnesota and up through Canada all the way to Northern Saskatchewa and the artic circle. Sorry if I didn't spell that right.
At one point, it started feeling like we were making home movies for a couple of guys with a lot of money to waste, but too stingy to spend it on us. One other shooter and I worked together, but we each shot in two boats. We worked out a day rate, food, and expenses that were to be covered by the client.

My advice would be to work out your day-rates and any other points in writing. It's the professional thing to do. Your rates can include things such as meal penalties (if not fed within 5 hours- common problem when on run-and-gun shoots), day rates and overtime, expenses, penalties for credit card charges, etc. Also suggest that all negociations be done and agreed on before the shoot. Try to discuss how the shoot will take place, and work things out ahead of time if possible.

Maybe this would be a good thread: have everyone include points of people's rate cards that we should include. I haven't freelanced in a while, so I'm a little behind in that department.

I started worrying because the guy had negociated with resorts we stayed at to shoot some promotional video while we were there too. The fisherman/company owner insisted on spraying video of a bunch of stuff, and would NOT take any suggestions to improve the look of what we were doing. Our work relationship soured after he became increasingly harder to work with.

I do have some really fond memories of shore lunches, and some pristine, never-fished before-ever lakes in the wilderness that you dont see every day.

We used deep-cell marine batteries to power our cameras and decks. With an Xl-1s you could shoot all weekend.

Good luck. Hope some of this is helpful.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business