How many hours would you bid for this job? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Glad to hear you're having fun, that's the most important part. If you enjoy what you're doing the money will find it's way to you.

Make sure you get outside once and a while so you can keep up your vitamin D!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

What a great thread. Thanks guys.
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Bid

My editing instructor who is a top editor in documentary work says she never considers biding work. You pay her hourly rate and that's it. While no two jobs are the same she said a shotgun guess is about 10 hours per finished minute for most of her jobs.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #19
Tourist

Hi Kell,

If you don't mind my asking, how long or how much experience do you have in editing? Because if this is your first project and you intend to use it as a learning experience, I would considering charging low.

For the initial projects of a professional editor, the best way to go about it is to edit for friends or family. Usually weddings are a good idea. That way, you get enough leeway to learn and ultimately once you get comfortable with the footage and video editing skills are well honed, you can cross into the commercial arena.

What it looks like here is that you have an African Safari kind of home video thingy going. I think I can't really gauge what price you should charge without looking at the actual footage. I guess the best thing to do is judge for yourself. Do you in fact want to spend that kind of time? How much is your time worth to you?

Perhaps one thing to do is to head over to some video project sites on the Internet and ask. But I guess that's what you're doing now ... silly me. Ok, anyway, how much 'fancy' stuff do you intend to put in ... if you want to make a really professional video - then yes, charge more. But if you only want to give a small, reasonable video - then charge less.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
Desktop-Video-Guide.com
Gary Hendricks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business