What Are Current Basic Cable Freelance Rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Are Current Basic Cable Freelance Rates?

This isn't a "what should I charge?" thread, it's a "what should I pay?" thread.

I have been a cameraman for a few years. A couple of years ago, I shot on a basic cable reality show as an operator for $450/ten hour day. And that was operating a HDCAM.

Now I am working with a producer to put together a budget for a reality show pilot proposal, and after doing mostly industrial video for several years (and having that rate fall big time since 08), I want to make sure what we are paying (as a NON UNION rate, of course), is fair for what people are seeing in the current freelance reality show basic cable world today.

So, a few years ago, it was $450/day for camera and $350/day for audio. Is this still the case?

The gear would be EX-1 and standard audio package (mixer/3 lavs/boom). I need operator rates, as kit rentals would be handled separately. Also, these would be 5-6 day shoots, so standard multiple-day discounts on rates may apply.

I want to offer real pay to hire guys with cable reality experience, I DO NOT want to Craigslist it. On the other hand, it won't be major network union budget either.

Thanks for your help....
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Major Player

shooters go for $500 to $600 and soundies for around $400.
This is for experienced people. You can find lower prices anywhere and you can also find overpriced people around too. I do some of this type of work and get no arguements from main line companies at $550 for 10. No discounts on labor for multiple days unless you are talking a month. Many of us won't go for labor only. I know I won't unless I get some rentals. Doesn't have to be camera, I don't own every camera in use today. But I'll get support gear, HD monitor, lights, maybe audio and bring up my rate several hundred.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business