Any PayPal Gurus in the house? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Any PayPal Gurus in the house?

Here is my scenario, Pay Pal took money from my bank account even though the transaction was cancelled. I sent money to a friend, he rejected it and was showing cancelled on my account history, 3 days later PayPal took the money. I have spent hours trying to file a dispute but can't find the right category for my complain. It is like a maze.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You've already been to "Resolution Center" under My Account? There are tutorials there about how to file a claim, as well as a button for "Contact Us" which gives you a few ways to do so. Did these not work well?

If it's just a bookkeeping screw-up and you have verification that the sale was cancelled, it should be a simple matter to clear up.

What have you done so far and what was PayPal's response? This would be important info for all to know.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Noel -
The withdrawal request was probably sent to the bank when you initiated the transaction, but it shouldn't have been paid if the transaction was cancelled. It's possible it will reverse itself by tomorrow (and if they "send it back" to the bank expect 3-4 days...), but better safe than sorry.

PP has a toll free #, at least in the US, and you probably will have better luck speaking to a warm body, if necessary a supervisor. If you can't find the toll free # (it's buried somewhere in the "contact us" sections, IIRC), PM me and I can probably get the #.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the response guys. I have tried the Resolution Centre but can't find a section that has my problem. I was hoping to file a complaint on-line but I guess Dave is right, I am better off calling them.

Thanks again.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Spoke to PayPal they will refund the money. I was told that once you initiate sending funds, even if you cancelled it, it will still be taken from your Bank Account as the "computer system" cannot be stopped. Blame it on the computer. I am still a novice in PayPal but that logic seems flawed, how can they give you the option to cancel when technically you can't cancel it.

Here is their secret Toll Free number: 1-888-221-1161
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

you cannot really cancel electronic transactions. Once initiated they all have to complete, or fail. If they fail, the fees 'bounce back' If they complete, you have to get a reversal initiated and that usually requires the recipient to approve it. The real question, of course, is who gets all the interest on the money while in transit/in limbo?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Noel, glad it worked out. PayPal (and all the eBay companies) are masters at making it difficult to solve any sort of simple problem if it would cost them money to do so. PayPal makes a fortune off all the floats -- they take the money from your bank account instantly when you pay, but sometimes "Hold" it in your PayPal account when you receive -- and after it's freed for transfer they still take a few days to post it to your bank account.

But that's nothing that the real banks don't do as well, and overall it's a pretty good system.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Pretty much as you've found out, once an electronic transaction is initiated, it goes through... You'd THINK it would automatically reverse if the transaction were later cancelled, but it has to complete before it can be reversed...

It used to be "float" - the time between when you wrote a check and it cleared the account was a couple days, now things are almost instantaneous, depending on the particular parties and networks, it's a brave new world!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business