Turnhere.com - Seriously?! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Myhre View Post
I do agree with you Pete that it does take some time to complete even a one minute video for them. Uploading the video really doesn't take all that long because the files aren't that large. If I had regular clients no I probably wouldn't be doing work for TurnHere because of the pay but as I said for me the occasional work is nice until I have time to get a business started and do this full time
I forgot its only a 1 min finished so yes that wouldn't too bad to upload
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #62
Major Player

i just got called from turnhere for two projects, going to shoot them both in the same day.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #63
Regular Crew

schemes like this wreck prices for the professional people who need to live from it.

but hey - it is a free market.
Oliver Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Neubert View Post
but hey - it is a free market.
And every day market pressures are trying to get us to deliver for closer to free. Interesting...
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #65
Equal Opportunity Offender

There will always be people wanting us to do the work for free or cheap. Saying "no" (or giving those clients to other people) is the key to maintaining business profitability.

You can always change your mind when it comes to "survival mode", of course.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #66
Regular Crew

If you work for free, or almost free - it is not survival. Survival would be to go and stack shelves instead.

Just the other day I got a call from one of the major agencies here. They explained in length the project, not terribly difficult but about a good day's work. They wanted something looking cool with good editing and some fancy effects. I asked about the budget. They said, "we don't have one". I said ok, but how much are you willing to spend? (naively thinking "no budget" means "no real budget" They said, ehmm - we just said there is NO budget, so I asked them if they are asking me to do it for free? Their reply was that the client asked them to ask... - .... - .... - after a pause I really had a hard time to remain polite, declining the "job".

Now - the thing is, I do a lot of free or micro budget stuff, but it is always either experimental, art, dance or some kind of "save the dolphin" thing. But this was for an international car manufacturer with global advertising budgets in the hundres of millions....

I understand that people who are not professional and want to get started in the business do things for free or very cheap just to get work and to "get published" but it is a risky path that has to be walked with caution. Even though it sounds good, a very cheap "getting to know me offer" might land you your first job with a client. But honestly, why should they pay you what the job is worth if you were able to do it much cheaper the first time. I have tried this and in my experience: It doesn't work.

As I mentionned, I do a lot of dance stuff, mostly contemporary and modern. The companies are really struggling for money, dancers get paid close to nothing. Still I charge the companies real money. What I charge is about 30% of what I would charge commercial clients but they come up with the money and pay. Even though there are a lot of people out there who would do it for free. I do it better, they know, they want it, I give everything to make it the best I can, and they pay. And more and more companies get referred by people I worked for.

One of my old bosses (when I still had one...) used to say: "Pay Peanuts - Get Monkeys"

or like someone else said:

"if it costs nothing - it's worth nothing"

which is certainly true for many areas, fashion, cars, photography, art....
Oliver Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #67

There are other sayings such as ...

"It's okay to bend over backwards to please a customer, but that doesn't mean we want to bend over forwards."

Andrew
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #68
Tourist

Very few shoots with TurnHere

I have done two shoots last year for TurnHere. Two all year. Here are the links to the videos I produced and are on YellowPages.com
New Image MedSpa:

http://www.yellowpages.com/info-1481...mage-MedSpa%3F

Americus Dental Associates:

http://www.yellowpages.com/info-4294...auto_play=true

I got paid as promised in a timely manner. My question is why only two shoots? You can judge for yourself the quality of my work by viewing the videos. Is it my work or something else on their end? The paperwork is a bit of a hassle and preparing the videos for upload gave me trouble, but I enjoyed the work. On the MedSpa shoot, I did the VO myself. Anyways, there is my two cents. BTW, I am assuming TurnHere will contact me for work in my area, which is Columbus, GA.
Larry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #69

Links not working, unfortunately.

Andrew
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Links work here.

When rotating your clips for Web delivery, make sure to zoom into them enough so that you can't see the black null space around the clip. Several clips have issues in the dental office piece.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #71
Inner Circle

Larry: the Med Spa piece is significantly better than the dental office piece. If I could offer one bit of advice, consider giving the movement in your shots a little more forethought. In one clip you reverse the move in the shot and dissolve out. In others the movement seem tentative. If you don't nail the move, go back and repeat it. And if you are going to do kinetic shooting, get the best tripod you can afford. Or more accurately, find a way to afford a better tripod.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to DVi!
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #72
Major Player

Larry,

Not bad work. Sure, others may have done it differently, but they didn't do it did they? You did!!

Your voice-over in the medspa spot did sound a bit mechanical, like forced annunciation, but they message was easy to get.

Why only two shoots? Who can say? It could be any one of a number of factors. Perhaps there just isn't a demand right now.

I've been contacted via (unsolicited) email by an upper echelon member of TurnHere regarding my postings in this thread. I won't say who it was or what was said, but I can assure you that TurnHere is completely aware of the what's been said here.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
I've been contacted via (unsolicited) email by an upper echelon member of TurnHere regarding my postings in this thread. I won't say who it was or what was said, but I can assure you that TurnHere is completely aware of the what's been said here.
Glad to hear it. I stand by my words and will live (or die) by them. One of the things I love about DVi is that it is a real names board.

I hope that it was only my inner cynic that read this news as a potential "threat" that "they know who's being naughty and who's being nice". It is in MY best interest to protect my market share. And as a part time educator, it is in my PROFESSIONAL interest to point out to my students that their actions may have consequences, both to themselves in terms of being "blacklisted" and to the industry in general in terms of undercutting.

In all seriousness, if the bottom completely falls out of video production, I'll move on to driving truck, selling tools, flipping burgers, whatever. I LOVE what I do for a living, and as long as there is an opportunity to maintain it as a viable livelihood, I'll speak out where I can. If it becomes no longer viable, I'll get a "real" job and make important films for free for people who need and appreciate it.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
Not bad work. Sure, others may have done it differently, but they didn't do it did they? You did!!
And for the record, advice and critique WAS requested. I don't make a habit of offering advice unsolicited. That would be bad form.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #75
Major Player

Larry, two shoots is likely all of the market penetration TurnHere has at the moment in YOUR market. Armed with your reel, and your growing experience, why not approach businesses yourself and offer to put them up on the Web? YouTube is free, as is Google Local Search, so all the local business has to do is pay your going rate for a Web spot creation.

So why wait around for a non-local entity like TH to generate business in YOUR town? Generate it yourself, and get paid what you are worth. I think you'll find local business and your local Chamber of Commerce are almost untapped (and un-touched) by meaningful video production. I see enormous growth for it in the next several years.

FWIW, I agree with Shaun's critique. I would also say try to avoid using a zoom at all. There's a reason they're almost never used in feature films and used ALL OVER THE PLACE by armchair videographers. A dolly move, a push, gentle tilt, rack focus... cinematic moves. I've read that the zoom "feels" unnatural because the human eye can't zoom... the other camera moves, it can do (by moving one's head or one's body).

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business