Fair price for studio time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fair price for studio time?

I just recently took my video career solo as a freelancer/independent producer. My work is mostly commercial and documentary, I don't have any employees (just hire crew on a project basis), I work out of my home and I don't have a dedicated studio space. I have some friends who own production company in town that does have studio space, and they are more than willing to rent it out by the hour or by the day. So here's my question: What is a fair price for studio time?

The specs for their studio: 20' x 30' area, 14' ceilings, ample power, sound dampening material on the walls, adjacent dressing room. Standard lighting and grip gear is available, which could be rented separately a la carte. It ain't no Hollywood sound stage, but it's adequate for most of my needs.

Anyone else have experience with rented studio space?
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A key question for me would be if it's suitable for recording audio. If it's a place with occasional fork lift operations, trains passing, jets overhead, then that will double the amount of time you'd need in a pin drop studio.

That's also a fairly small area. big enough but not big.

I probably wouldn't pay more than $150 bucks for the day.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Major Player

One place up here by me has space about that size and charges $400/ day. When I had to use it, the owner graciously threw in a tech to help set up the lights. More lights and equipment were available, but as an a la carte charge.

There's another place that has a room that's slightly smaller, but last quote I got from them was $800 for a 10 hour day and they weren't willing to provide a half day rate or throw in any extras.

$150 for an entire day sounds low to me, but then again, you might have a larger selection of places to go in your general vicinity.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. The audio setup is decent, but it's not immune to a large truck rumbling by outside from time to time. There aren't many other options for dedicated studio space in this town, but it's usually not too hard to find alternatives.

In any case, I like the sound of $150/day. It seems a little low to me, too, but it never hurts to make an offer.
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Trustee

Simple answer.... Call them and ask!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip View Post
One place up here by me has space about that size and charges $400/ day. When I had to use it, the owner graciously threw in a tech to help set up the lights. More lights and equipment were available, but as an a la carte charge.

There's another place that has a room that's slightly smaller, but last quote I got from them was $800 for a 10 hour day and they weren't willing to provide a half day rate or throw in any extras.

$150 for an entire day sounds low to me, but then again, you might have a larger selection of places to go in your general vicinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Hewitt View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The audio setup is decent, but it's not immune to a large truck rumbling by outside from time to time. There aren't many other options for dedicated studio space in this town, but it's usually not too hard to find alternatives.

In any case, I like the sound of $150/day. It seems a little low to me, too, but it never hurts to make an offer.
A good way to low ball them is to say you'll come in during off hours.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business