Music Rights for College Website Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Music Rights for College Website Video

A local community college wants me to make a 5-7 min promo video for their website, and wants me to present some music options.

I've searched these forums and see lots of discussion on legality, etc. But what are my options for resources? I can search the web for Royalty Free music I suppose. Are there any clearinghouses with license fees for commercial music for low budget event videographers? I have $200 or so I would think for this part of the budget.

thanks

Jeff
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In terms of music beds, there's good stuff out there for that budget. I have bought individual pieces in the past but found it much more cost effective to get the packages at royaltyfreemusic.com. It takes some effort but you can audition every single track and evaluate how much of the CD is what you might use now or in the future.

High production popular music with vocals etc is a whole nuther ball game. If you've searched this site, you know some of the no-name alternatives that let you license directly from the composer. Another idea is a local musician/composer hobbyist who might do something custom. ymmv
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why not suggest they run a little internal composition to find a music or media student who can write it (free of charge) as part of their studies. Getting a pro video with their own music may well sit well - especially if it comes from you as a 'wonderful opportunity' and 'budget positive'.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You guys are awesome. I love this site. I will make those suggestions.

Jeff
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Jeff,

Take a look at www.jamendo.com . I think there is some cutting edge stuff there from all over the world. You can download a mp3 comp to listen and edit to and if it works then pay for the higher quality copy at really low rates.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The selection of royalty-free music available from SmartSound is just fantastic & the ability to use it in Sonicfire Pro & manipulate & customise the performance is unique. Best of all they just introduced the facility to purchase just a single track rather than a whole $100 album of themed music
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Trustee

I like Digital Juice StackTraxx: www.digitaljuice.com. $50 for each library, and you can listen to all online to make sure you're buying the one you want.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Major Player

I've had luck with www.Stock20.com - Flash Detection. Thought I'd give them a dog in the fight. Cheap especially when needing 1 song. They send it to you in a variety of lentghs as well (:15, :30, :45: 1:00 1:30, 2:00 etc). Usually about a dozen of them up to 5 minutes or so.

I'll have to check out these others too. Thanks for posting all.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Well, there is such a thing as Public Domain classical music just in case anybody remembers what classical music is! ( Tongue in cheek!) Thousands upon thousands of pieces, actually. And it's easy to find someone to play it for you to record - like a pianist or classical guitarist etc. There are even huge archives of non-copyrighted performances online already recorded ready to download.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business