A question of price - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Vicki,

Only just spotted the discussion. Like the others have said, stick to your guns. I always see it as a big flashy-red-alert-thing when clients start dictating what the value of our work is. That's "very potential serious ongoing problem" time. I pretty much resolve to not meet a clients dictated pricing if at all possible.

On the other hand, if it's a bean counter then perhaps we should put it in to their perspective. If there are 100 people attending the conference, then include the full duplication of 100 sets of the 3 final discs. In addition to that, give a "per set" pricing for the DVD sets that includes the amortisation of the shoot/edit costs.

If this should happen to be $80 per set (price of 2.5 retail movies) it makes no-brainer sense to the bean counter. And working for $8000 minus in-house dupe costs already looks better to you.

But definitely stick to your guns.

You can always contact me for a chin wag if you wish to. I'm in Brisbane.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business