client cancels filming event 1 day before. anything I can do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Major Player

client cancels filming event 1 day before. anything I can do?

I had scheduled a concert to film 2 months ago, and the client cancels 1 day before the event. I didn't get any down payment or contract signed. just have emails where he says and agrees to the price and to have it shot.

I already asked another 2nd camera guy, now i have to tell him i don't need him. and told him i was going to give him 200.00

the total gig was going to be 800.00

is there anything I can do?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Without a contract and deposit, not really. Now you see the importance of having both. You can try to collect from the client but I doubt you'll get very far.

Maybe you can get the client to reschedule and get a contract and deposit for the new date.
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Trustee

That's business. That's why we get deposits, sign contracts, etc.

If you want to be a stinker, you could try to collect, maybe even take him to court. But you'd have to demonstrate to the judge that you actually lost other opportunities because of this booking.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

While contracts don't HAVE to be in writing, for a contract to be binding some 'valuable consideration' must change hands, ie, a deposit. Since you didn't get one, as it stands right now it doesn't appear there ever was a contract so there's nothing enforcable. Sorry, next time get it in writing.
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Major Player

In your emails did you mention anything about a cancellation policy, or amount of notice needed? If not, then what's your case? Client needed you, client doesn't need you. Didn't violate any terms.

Would you likely do business with them again? Probably not, but they didn't do much wrong from what's probably in writing. I'd email the 2nd video guy asap & say the client flaked out & apologize (was this a Craigslist jobbie? If so, it's typical). You could say to the client you understand and ask they keep you in mind in the future, but to be honest it sounds kindof amatuerish, I'd let it go.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Been there too....Sounds like you lose on this one. But it's a valuable lesson, just know that from here on out get deposits and contracts.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business