older version of adobe software, not using can I sell? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Major Player

older version of adobe software, not using can I sell?

I have an older version of adobe premiere and photoshop, that I am not using and is not installed, however it is registered by me. Can I sell these disc with the Serial Numbers, as long as its not installed on my PC?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You would also need to make sure it has been deactivated on your PC as well as uninstalled so that a purchaser would be able to succesfully complete the installation on their own computer. An unistall, per se, does not deactivate it - deactivation is a separate process done before removing the software from the PC. Other than that consideration, the licenses are supposed to be transferrabe.
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

One of the problems there is that the new buyer might be buying to get upgrades on what he buys from you if you have upgraded from that Serial number,. A lot of companies are not allowing that upgrade to occur. You should check with Adobe to find out.
Old August 28th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Adobe's upgrade versions check during install to see if the qualifying previous version is on the target PC. If it doesn't find it, it asks for the previous version's serial number in addition to the new version's before proceeding with the install. But AFAIK it doesn't check to see if that copy of the older veresion has perviously been upgraded. From having recently upgraded both Lightroom and Photoshop I know the Adobe site doesn't ask for a qualifying serial as part of the purchasing process for the upgrade versions.
Old August 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Steve's right, Adobe's upgrade versions may ask for a previous serial number, but they do not check if that serial has previously been upgraded.

I've successfully transferred Adobe software before. Here's the process: Transfer an Adobe product license
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business